AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Change entire ads in account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone, 

Due to a new tracking tool we'll implement, I want to change the ads in my entire account with a new url. The new ads will be exactly the same (text and landing page) just with different tracking in the url. Do you know if this has an impact on overall account/campaign quality? will the ads keep hisotry? I'm talking about a major change that can't be done gradually but in bulk. 

Thanks for your comments, 

Yamel

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ymatta
September 2015

Re: Change entire ads in account

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

The Ads could be paused rather than deleted, it's an option.  Although since in this case the only change is to the Destination URL, not any visible part of the Ad, and the final URL isn't changing, only the tracking element, I'm not sure there's any benefit in doing so as opposed to when changing elements that are likely to affect QS.

The Editor really is a much better option for making changes at scale as it gives you a better interface for checking changes before making them live.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Yamel, unfortunately, any change to an Ad results in that Ad being deleted and a new one created so that Ad will effectively be brand new with no history.  You can always view the historical data for any deleted Ads (by choosing to show All in the Ads tab) but this data will not influence the new Ads.

Whether there will be any impact on performance will depend upon the nature of the change.  If landing pages remain the same then in theory these new Ads should eventually have the same performance as the old ones though it may take some time for their data to "settle down".

How are you going to implement the change; via the AdWords Editor?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cobnut,

Thanks for your answer, i thought the same. I'll do the change through Adwords Editor. I'm just afraid of loosing too many impressions and clicks while the new ads settle down.

Yamel

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Wouldn't it be better to keep the old ads paused for a testing time of 1-2 weeks ? If things go wrong , deleted ads cannot be resumed along with the CTR data, but paused Ads can. 

The interface also has an option to "Search and replace" and create duplicates with the replaced text if only the Display URL has changed for example.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ymatta
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

The Ads could be paused rather than deleted, it's an option.  Although since in this case the only change is to the Destination URL, not any visible part of the Ad, and the final URL isn't changing, only the tracking element, I'm not sure there's any benefit in doing so as opposed to when changing elements that are likely to affect QS.

The Editor really is a much better option for making changes at scale as it gives you a better interface for checking changes before making them live.

Jon