AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Capturing Potential Client

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Business: Women's Clothing Wholesaler

They are interested in PPC, particularly Re-marketing.

Can you share some ideas how should i approach this in order to make this customer a success? ( I mean what should be campaigns strategy. How would you approach ?) Basically he is asking about the campaign how would they look like..

Remember, they are wholesaler and they don't want to spend much money targeting regular customers.

They just want to focus on clothing retailers who want to find good wholesaler.

Frank

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Capturing Potential Client

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

Based on the fact that the Display network can be used by reducing the number of impression via many factors like :

1. Placement (most specific)
  2. Age
  3. Gender
  4. Topic
  5. Interests and remarketing list
  6. Keyword (least specific)

As this article teaches us about bid priority https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580293?hl=en

[Later edit] Use the Placement tool from Tools And Analysis, because it can show you hundreds of placements and add to the report the Column that shows you traffic, in order to group them descending by traffic. The sugestions that you receive in the standard "Placement selection" tool after you click the button "Change display targeting" only provides a dozen of sugestions, you will be missing 90% of them. [/Later edit]

I would first divide placements into 2 campaigns : high-traffic and low-traffic , they bring different types of visitors.

This is useful for tailoring the text messages better. You won't send the same message to people visiting a women's magazine with a 100.000 / month traffic and to the people from a job site with a 2 Mil / month traffic. And yes women do visit job sites a lot too and a pair of nice new clothing might be appealing for looking good in an interview. So you could link these 2 ideeas : carrer advancement + formal clothing.

[Later edit] Ad groups can also have different bids , and I would like to have a lower bid on the high traffic sites, since they are not so focused, they might be serving information of general interest [/Later edit]

Then I would make separate ad groups with every combination of

[(group of placements) + gender (women and undefined) ] , because of different budgeting according to the number of clicks and maybe some scheduled budgeting.

[(group of placements) + gender (women and undefined) + topics ]

[(group of placements) + gender (women and undefined) + age restriction 1= younger ]

[(group of placements) + gender (women and undefined) + age restriction 2= older ]

This way you can see which performs better after a month of testing. If you apply too many restrictions (age+gender+topics+placements+keywords) from the beginning , you end up with an intersection of visitors so small, it will be invisible.

So I would have 8 ad groups, 4 for high traffic sites and 4 for low traffic sites   . What is important is to think ahead what the potential buyer of clothing would like to click on when they see an ad in a website that is not directly related to selling clothes.

I know my input does not cover all the aspects of remarketing in such a situation, but it is a start.

[Later edit] You can also search for placements related to mother care, and target them with messages related to larger clothing or maybe baby-clothing , those sites receive a good targeted woman-related traffic.

Also search for the words "forum" or "community" when searching for placements, because that is where many people talk about focused topics, which might lead to shopping clothes.

[/Later edit]

[Later edit] Regarding to the wholesale targeting , you could target business directories with online databases about hundreds of companies [/Later edit]

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Franklin, hmmm.

My first approach to any new client is to make an honest assessment of whether AdWords is even going to work for them.  I get nervous as soon as the client business moves away from B2C online sales as it becomes increasingly difficult to find profitable traffic and to measure the success of any campaign.

Wholesale B2B is, in my opinion, one of the trickier markets as finding the potential customers is a lot harder than for B2C.  The Display Network might work for you, though I'd suggest you will have to use Managed Placements, carefully chosen for suitability and likely to have a lot of retail business owner traffic.

Search should work for you but again you're going to have to be cautious with your Keywords to avoid individuals and very clear with your Ads about the nature of the business.

I'm interested that you say the client is particularly interested in remarketing; that seems an odd thing to say as your primary marketing should always be your biggest earner.  Can you clarify their thinking in this respect?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Smiley Happy,

@Adrian B - Thanks for the wonderful inputs it seems that Jon also agrees on moving with Managed Placements first..

@Cobnut - Jon, Its good know that i am not the only person who thinks that capturing B2B customers is harder than B2C. And yes, i too agree that "primary marketing should always be the biggest earner"..I will clarify their thinking will respect to this point.

Apart from this i was thinking of Going with Search Network campaign initially with very targeted keywords like..

1] Womens clothes wholesaler

2] Womens clothing wholesaler etc...just to measure results..Does this make any sense..?

Also, i think daily budget for the campaigns also plays a vital role. If we don't have a budget we cant do much experiment which is really very important in Adwords.

Let me know your views on this..

Frank

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Frank,

It's rare that my advice isn't to "start with a small number of precise Keywords on Search" Smiley Happy  So I can't argue with your approach there.  Personally I probably wouldn't try the GDN until either Search was established and working well, or had proven unprofitable.  The GDN can work but sometimes it just doesn't and I think you've got a better chance with Search initially.

Yes, it's absolutely vital to have a decent test budget, I've been shouting a lot about this recently.  The whole point of a test run is that you are trying to determine if (and how) AdWords is going to work for you.  To do this properly you must give AdWords a fair chance to perform.  If your budget is too limited, or your test runs for too short a period, you may assume AdWords is unprofitable when in fact the problem was only one of budget and time.

I would always recommend that advertisers should either run a test with a budget that can reach at least 80% of available impressions, for at least a week, or don't use AdWords at all.  Running an inefficient, meaningless test is just a waste of money.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Jon and Franklin !

Would it make sense for him in this task of finding [clothing wholesales queries]  to activate the search partners ?

I've read these articles today

http://marketingland.com/google-nikesh-arora-33264

http://thenextweb.com/asia/2013/01/02/new-google-asia-servers-could-bring-30-speed-boost-when-they-g...

and it makes me think that since wholesales clothing is represented mainly by asian websites, it would make sense to enable searches for "google partners" too. But would this be good for remarketing , are those partner search engines passing to google the cookies , will those visitors be easy to track later in audiences ?

Have you ever studied how the "Search partners" help the remarketing process ?