AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Capitalization Issues in Dynamic Keyword Insertion (DKI)

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi Community Members,

I am using DKI in two different campaigns with different Syntax.

Syntax 1 –{KeyWord:MBA Admission}

But when I search the keyword “top mba college in delhi

It shows the below result:-

DKI.PNG

Syntax 2–{Keyword:MBA Admission}

And when I search the keyword “mba top college in pune

It shows the below result:-

DKI2.png

So my question:- Why the word "MBA" is in caps in the both situation?

in both the cases, it should be "Mba" instead of "MBA"?

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
4 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rakesh Kumar
September 2015

Re: Capitalization Issues in Dynamic Keyword Insertion (DKI)

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Rakesh!

I might be wrong, but it must have to do something with the Editorial Standards:

"However, full capitalization and intercapitalization is only acceptable in ad text for these circumstances:

• Trademarked terms/product names/brand names
  • Common abbreviations and acronyms"

In my opinion, as "MBA" is a commonly known acronym, AdWords have nothing against using it in capital letters, what do you think?

milda prušinskaitė

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Milda,
Yes in first look I have realized the same but if this case that you mentioned so why the first character "p" of Pune( in picture 2) is small as it is a city name.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Rakesh, I could be wrong, but it could be simply that Google is recognising a common abbreviation and automatically capitalising it.  After all, you wouldn't want it to say Mba, would you?

(Incidentally, I'm not sure if the first screenshot is actually DKI on that Keyword as the text doesn't match).

(edited)  Of course if you want to ensure the first word is capitalised, you can use {KEYWord:default text} but I'm sure you know that.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Yep ; I agree with Jon @Jon_Gritton  and Milda @mildaster 

The common  abbreviation in Europe; Asia and America for "Master in Business Administration" is   MBA

While in the 90s, it was common to use dots (.) within the abbreviation (e.g. M.B.A; M.Sc; B.Sc.; - See for example: Merriam Webster's guide for business correspondence) - nowadays, for MBA; the "dots" are rarely used.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Thanks Milda, Jon and Moshe for your kind inputSmiley Happy

@Jon--{After all, you wouldn't want it to say Mba, would you?}. Yup, i don't like to see the word "Mba" after all.

(Incidentally, I'm not sure if the first screenshot is actually DKI on that Keyword as the text doesn't match).

I have put the keyword "top mba college in delhi" but it triggered the ads from "list of mba college in delhi". This is why both search term and text are different (I could be wrong, please correct me).

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Rakesh,

If these aren't your own ads it's hard to tell if they are DKI. DKI uses the keyword on which you bid, not the search query.

About capitalization: if your keyword includes an abbreviation like "MBA", and that is all caps in your keyword and the keyword has been approved for DKI, the capitalization of MBA is preserved with DKI.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Thanks Pete for your response on this threadSmiley Happy

These ad are my own campaigns ads. That i am managing. And all the word {including MBA} are in lower case in campaigns.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Sorry to bother you all with a basic question but I did come across this article

http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2013/03/13/dear-ebay-its-not-adwords-its-you

where it says "DKI dynamically inserts the user’s query into the headline of your ad, as follows:"

Since who wrote the article is supposed to be a leader of opinion in the SEM world, I wonder if this statement is an honest mistake or did DKI work differently in march 2013 ?

One more closely related question, can we test somehow with the Ad Preview how DSA generates an Ad ? (not DKI)

Thank you

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Nothing has changed. This is an erratum / clerical error, The keyword interested is the keyword which triggers the ad.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’