AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can you post an ad without a website, but just your phone number?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My website is "cannabisplus.net" and I'm worried it will be rejected, even though I am a doctor's office and not a dispensary, i.e. don't sell medicine. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can you post an ad without a website, but just your phone number?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Deborah,

A web site is required, even if you only want phone calls.

You might find this article interesting:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/google-marijuana_n_3511186.html

I would think that if Google has issued a grant to a Michigan based medical marijuana organization they would allow you to advertise as well. I highly recommend contact AdWords support with your question.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Very interesting article by @petebardo !

My view: someone at Google mistakenly approved "Michigan based medical marijuana", and now Google PR is trying to sort things out....As the article explains, the policy is quite clear: 

• Google AdWords doesn't allow the promotion of illegal drugs, legal or synthetic highs, herbal drugs, chemicals and compounds with psychoactive effects, drug paraphernalia, or aids to pass drug tests. Our policy on drugs covers products that are illegal, as well as some products that may be legal in some countries.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Moshe,

That story was all over the internet and dominated the SERP for the query "Google AdWords medical marijuana policy". A lot of people are trying to figure out what that means.

Medical Marijuana is legal in many US states now. She is not selling any kind of high but a legitimate treatment for some serious illnesses. It is legal in California and has been for many years.

Perhaps the Michigan group case was an error, or maybe it reflects an updated policy. I don't know. Thus, I recommend contacting AdWords support for clarification. It's fairly obvious this was not allowed in past years.

Thanks for your input!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Deborah,

The only situation where AdWords allows a phone number without a website is for mobile search ads. The option doesn't exist for regular search or any display ad formats at present.

You could also try other pay per call providers or use a landing page / different domain name for your ads, though you're likely to run into the same issues if you are promoting products that go against AdWords' editorial policy

Edit: Clarified that the call-only option is available to WAP and smartphone mobile ads

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I will escalate to Google Policy team asking  them to comment;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again ;

It has been a moths since this discussion was started, but we  got an official response from Google for "medicinal marijuana"

Google replied the following:

>>"Ads for medical marijuana clinics are designated as non-family safe and must comply with all our existing AdWords policies, and with any applicable laws. We don't allow ads for sites that sell medical marijuana or marijuana paraphernalia."

I assume, that since you are in that business, you know what is "marijuana clinic" (vs for example, marijuana "pharmacy").

Please also note, that these ads are classified as "non-family safe", and not all users will get to see them.(Though ; most who search for medicinal marijuana -   probably will)

-Moshe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You need to use a URL regardless of intent and the website is used heavily towards calculating a Quality Score. However, you can call the Google Adwords phone number and ask the rep to get your URL whitelisted/approved if it follows Google Policy.