AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can you folks help me think of a strategy to *exclude* universities?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had this idea while setting up a campaign today, but I don't know if it's possible. My company provides enterprise software to many different businesses, but our niche is also saturated by university students. Every week we spend a fair amount of money on clicks that almost certainly won't convert to revenue (research students who click our ads in lieu of organic links). So, I was targeting locations while creating a new campaign today, when I had an idea. Within Location Groups you can include specific places of interest: Airports, Central commercial areas, and Universities.

However, you cannot exclude any of these areas. Being able to specifically exclude universities using this function would save my company a lot of unnecessarily wasted money. To date, I can't figure out a way to game AdWords so it specifically excludes universities in a campaign. However, it seems like the functionality is there if you're able to specifically include them. Any insight into how I could solve this problem (or even if this problem can be solved) would be appreciated! I feel like there must be an answer Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Charles L
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, there is a way. Not a very easy one though. Please take a look here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722040?hl=en

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I think this request has been raised in the past,. I would test a different approach and make the ad-copy clear that  the product is an enterprise edition not intended for students.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Can you folks help me think of a strategy to *exclude* universities?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Charles, you can exclude universities at the campaign location settings.

i.e.

Capture.PNG

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Yiannis! Thank you for this advice. It's a lot of help. Are you aware of a method that would allow me to exclude in bulk? Otherwise, it'll take quite a while to manually exclude all 2,618 colleges and universities in the United States. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Charles L
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, there is a way. Not a very easy one though. Please take a look here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722040?hl=en