AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can you folks help me think of a strategy to *exclude* universities?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had this idea while setting up a campaign today, but I don't know if it's possible. My company provides enterprise software to many different businesses, but our niche is also saturated by university students. Every week we spend a fair amount of money on clicks that almost certainly won't convert to revenue (research students who click our ads in lieu of organic links). So, I was targeting locations while creating a new campaign today, when I had an idea. Within Location Groups you can include specific places of interest: Airports, Central commercial areas, and Universities.

However, you cannot exclude any of these areas. Being able to specifically exclude universities using this function would save my company a lot of unnecessarily wasted money. To date, I can't figure out a way to game AdWords so it specifically excludes universities in a campaign. However, it seems like the functionality is there if you're able to specifically include them. Any insight into how I could solve this problem (or even if this problem can be solved) would be appreciated! I feel like there must be an answer Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I think this request has been raised in the past,. I would test a different approach and make the ad-copy clear that  the product is an enterprise edition not intended for students.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Can you folks help me think of a strategy to *exclude* universities?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Charles, you can exclude universities at the campaign location settings.

i.e.

Capture.PNG

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Yiannis! Thank you for this advice. It's a lot of help. Are you aware of a method that would allow me to exclude in bulk? Otherwise, it'll take quite a while to manually exclude all 2,618 colleges and universities in the United States. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Charles L
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, there is a way. Not a very easy one though. Please take a look here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722040?hl=en