AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can this be done with negatives?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I would like to exclude searches for my product that begin with a possessive.

For instance, I want my ads to show if someone searches for widgets but not Joe's widgets (or any other name that ends in the suffix 's.

I tried putting in a negative keyword of "s widgets" and it didn't seem to work. I also tried " 's widgets" with the apostrophe, but it didn't work either. Any suggestions? Can I do this or am I asking too much?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can this be done with negatives?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hmm, you may be asking too much fnippy.  I suspect the problem may lie in Google's handling of punctuation in keywords - they may not even recognise the difference between Joes and Joe's.  As a first step you'll probably want to turn off the use of close variants in the Keyword Matching section of your campaign settings; this should help Google take things literally.  Then you'll probably have to do it with exact match positives.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about turning off close variants, but I don't think that is a good option for me because I get a lot of hits on misspellings.

This really wouldn't be an issue for me except that Google puts that little line of text at the top of the first position ad that says "Ads related to Joe's widgets" which creates the false impression that the ad triggered by the more general term is associated with Joe's business. Now that I've successfully gotten into the top 3 positions with all my ads, I'm wondering if some of the non-producing clicks are due to confusion over the "ads related to {insert search terms here}" message.

I guess I'll just watch my search terms report carefully for all the Joe's and Bob's searches and then put those in as individual negatives.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You could always try to include the most frequent misspellings as keywords in their own right, then turn off the close variants. No guarantee it'll help though!  

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits