AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can the 'Remarketing' feature be used solely on the traditional 'Search Network' platform?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As it pertains to Adwords, can the 'Remarketing' feature be used solely for ads running on the traditional Google 'Search Network' platform? It appears from reading help, remarketing pertains to ads running either only on the Display Network, or the Display Network has to be part of the campaign. But, as you read ad drill down through the help explanation, it appears you may be able to opt out of the Display Network? http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453998

I know I rescently visited a Home Improvement energy-based website, and watched a video about insulation on their site. A short while later, I conducted a traditional Google search for a Master Electrician in the next town, and an Insulation Adwords ad, showed up for the first company amongst the Electrician Adword Ads? The first company does not offer and electrical services, and the ad was clearly written for insulation. So it's highly unlikely this ad would have been served normally for my search, and I could not replicate seeing the ad for searches conducted from other computers. I'm guessing this was a remarketed ad. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can the 'Remarketing' feature be used solely on the traditional 'Search Network' platform?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good afternoon.

I'm afraid that remarketing ads show only on Display Network websites.

As for your own experience, many factors contribute to when/how you see an ad when you search. Some of these factors are controlled by you (what you do online and what cookies you have in your brower) and some are controlled by advertisers (keywords, match types, and other targeting options).  

What you saw could have been triggered by any number of factors working in combination but it wasn't specifically remarketing.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: Can the 'Remarketing' feature be used solely on the traditional 'Search Network' platform?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

hiya,

this is more likely to happen if the advertiser uses a CPA bidding strategy.

Adwords considers that you are more likely to purchase from this advertiser as you already showed an interest in it.

+ remember that google adwords has a 30 day cookie lifetime...

also, it is possible to remarket only for search via adwords, but might be only opened to selected advertisers...

you can find some details the subject here: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Remarketing+Lists+for+Search%22

The main and very important different between remarketing list for search and display remarketing is that  a "remarketing search keyword" will only trigger nd ad for visitors who already visited your site previously via an adwords ad; where as display remarketing ads can get triggered for "all visitors" (restricted to your targeting setting) that have been browsing your selected page whether or not they've previsouly clicked on an AdWords ad.

Hope this makes sense...

cheers Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, I understand the explanation. Although I have only a general understanding of CPA bidding, and have not seen it implemented.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hey Vcoast, 

If you're interested in Cost per Acquisition bidding, this link here will explain it in a little more detail. 

Hope this helps!

A.