AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can't get my head around the targeting and bid / bid only options

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all, I'm having great trouble understanding what these settings mean. I have read the help centre information on the topics but I'm still unsure what they mean exactly. Is it best to leave everything the default setting? If I put information in every section such as keywords, placements, topics, interests, gender etc, what setting does it need to be?

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Can't get my head around the targeting and bid / bid only options

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Phil

1. If your placement bidding option is Bid only then, its a OR condition where any of the targeting methods matches and your ad will be displayed. For e.g. if you have keywords and placements in your ad group then your ad will be displayed on the basis of both the factors individually.
2. If your placement bidding option is Target and Bid then, its AND condition where all the targeting methods should be their so that your ad will be displayed. For e.g. if you have keywords and placements in the ad group, then your ad will be shown when both the factors are their i.e. when a user user is visiting the site which you have added as managed placement and any of your keywords matches the content on that site.

Hope this make it clear!

Abhishek

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Phil

1. If your placement bidding option is Bid only then, its a OR condition where any of the targeting methods matches and your ad will be displayed. For e.g. if you have keywords and placements in your ad group then your ad will be displayed on the basis of both the factors individually.
2. If your placement bidding option is Target and Bid then, its AND condition where all the targeting methods should be their so that your ad will be displayed. For e.g. if you have keywords and placements in the ad group, then your ad will be shown when both the factors are their i.e. when a user user is visiting the site which you have added as managed placement and any of your keywords matches the content on that site.

Hope this make it clear!

Abhishek

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Abhishek. So if my settings are set to target and bid on say, keywords, topics, interests, gender and age then all of those settings must match for the ad to show? And if I changed the topic to bid only then my ads would show on all of the topics in the list regardless of the other settings?

How do I change the keyword setting? There doesn't seem to be an option from changing it to bid only as I wouldn't want that limiting the other settings,

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes Phil, keywords don;t have option to change bidding. Only other targeting methods bidding can be changed.
#1 Yes if you set target and bid on topics, interests, gender, age along with keywords in the ad group then all the factors should be their in order to display your ad.

#2 If you change the bidding option to bid only for topics then your reach will increase as your ad will be shown on all the topics that you have selected. Also your ad will be shown on the remaining factors as well like where a user condition matches keywords with placements with interests etc. what so ever you have selected.

Abhishek

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Interesting facts about this setting :

1) Keywords do not have this option, if you add keywords they are always going to be used to match pages, meaning they have a default "target and bid". Keywords restrict display of Ads to pages relevant for those keywords.

2) If you select a few sites to show your Ads but you change the "target and bid" option to "bid" it means your ads can show on any other sites, with the difference that you control the bid for those particular selected sites.

3) If you select for example one gender to "Target and bid" , for example just Females, the system will find pages where readers are identified as females and show your Ads. If you select Females and just "bid", Ads can show to any gender with the exception that for Females you can control the bid.

Because you haven't added also the Male gender as targeting, you do not control the bid for Male readers, even if Ads can show up for Males.

My personal interpretation in english is this : "Target and bid" works like a restriction to certain pages or certain demographics,  while "bid" acts like a "show my ads for any targeting from this category (gender, age, topics, interests) but let me bid differently for those segments where I selected "bid".

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Excellent help, thanks so much. I think I'm beginning to grasp the concept a bit more now. In my current campaign I've set the placements to bid only - with three sites enterered. So this means that my ad will appear on those sites (with bids I can control for each site) but also appear on other relevant sites to my ad. I've also set interests to bid only, so this means I can control the bid for each interest. However, I've set the topics, gender and age to targeting and bid, does this mean then because I've set the placements and interests to bid only, the targeting and bid settings for topics, gender and age have no effect on the palcements and interests? So a male or female could see the ad on the placement or interest? 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes Phil, IMO topics, gender and age have no affect on placements and interests.

Abhishek

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How come I can't change the bids of my 'bid only' targeting settings? I can enable custom bids for one but not the other even though they are both 'bid only'?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Let me do a quick summary of what I understand from your targeting :

1) keywords - none

2) topics - you have selected some topics , and used "target and bid"

3) gender and age - you have selected some ( or all ? ) segments for gender and age , and used target and bid 

4) interests - you have selected some interests, and used setting "bid"

5) placements - you have selected some placements, and use setting "bid"

Now an Ad will appear on a page of "any site" (because placements have only bid) , matching a visitor with "any interests" IF 

a) the pages of those sites match a topic you have selected ( because of "target and bid" )

b) only when those pages with a topic, are viewed by the gender and age you selected ( because of "target and bid"

It seems to me you want to add too many targeting methods. Usually just topics +keywords are enough to restrict Ads to relevant pages.

It is pointless to use all gender and age segments to "Target and bid" . You are not restricting anything if you use all age/gender segments. It would make sense to use "target and bid" if you want to show your ads only to "females 18-25 age" for example if you sell young female clothing. For this goal the "Target and bid" would help you .

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The other targeting methods which do not make use of "custom bids" inherit the bids at the ad group level.