AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can someone explain display network targeting and its numbers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a Display Network Only adgroup, and Display Keywords, Topics, Interests and Remarketing, Age, and Gender are all set to target and bid. Placements is set to bid only. From my understanding, my ad would only appear on websites that match all the "target and bid" criteria, according to the venn diagram in +Targeting. Now I look at the adgroup's performance for 11/1-11/14. The cost for Display Keywords added together is 9.70, which is the same as Topics, and Interests and Remarketing. The cost for Placements is 7,019.38, which is the same as Age and Gender targeting. What effect does Display Keywords, Topics, and Interests and Remarketing have on Placements when I set the first 3 to target and bid? How are the costs figured? It doesn't seem like my Display Keywords etc bids are having any effect on placements.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can someone explain display network targeting and its numbers

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

This is a nice question, about  a really complicated issue;

I did not quite understand the structure of your Remarketing campaign; but; trying  to simplify : 

• In Remarketing when you add palcemtents / topics -  the AND condition applies;
  • While if you add interest  to Remarketing the OR condition applies; 

Thus; I would set Remarketing in one of the listed "configuration", and would not recommend to "mix" them.

We could complicate it further, by adding keywords - but I will skip it for now (not to complicate further).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh I see, sorry about that, I should've been more clear. There is no remarketing in this adgroup, just interests. I just typed "Interests and Remarketing" because that's what the category was called. There are topics and keywords though. Those do have the AND conditional? I still don't understand why the keywords costs/clicks are different from placement costs/clicks, when keywords are always targeted.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I see...well...this is really complicated and dependent on the bidding option you chose:

• If you go by "target and bid" (for placements and keywords ) placements bid is used;
  • If you Go for "bid only"-  then you could set bidding for each targeting method, but the OR condition would apply (for the targeted audiences)

I agree that this is one of the complicated issues in AdWords. Google really made it complex. Here is an article that summarizes it all; Take  half an hour,  in a quiet place (and a cup of coffee) and review the examples given;

Targeting settings on the Display Network

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

oh I see! That article helps a lot, thank you. From my understanding of the table given under "Advanced Targeting and Bidding Combinations," if I set keywords to target and bid, and placements to bid only, it would only follow the bidding on the placements.

I still don't understand what the display keyword costs mean, though. If bidding is determined by placements, where do the keyword costs come from? The total cost from keywords is a very different number from the placements total cost. Also, does this mean if I set custom bids for keywords, and enable bid adjustments for placements, the placement bid adjustment is based on the adgroup default bid? I am just wondering, because it looks like the best thing to do is always set custom bids on placements and forget about setting bids on display keywords altogther.

Thank you very much for the info given already.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi there;

There are various options for bidding on the display network; That is why it is so complicated; :smileyfrustrated:
The combinations of audiences targeting  and "bid targeting method" chosen ("Target and bid" vs "bid only") determine which bid is used;

If you use contextual targeting only (i.e keywords) , then you can bid on a specific keyword. Though keywords work collectively as a theme to find pages with relevant content (aka "contextual targeting")
- you can bid higher on a leading KW, which  might be found to better represent the "theme", and hence converts more;

-Moshe