AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can customer match help lower my bids?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was hoping that customer match (or other remarketing) would help me show ads to my customers, without paying the $30 minimum first page bid for my main keyword phrase. 

Just a dream?  :-) 

So we sell certification exams (say for $40) and my partners who train to my standard have a much higher revenue model (say $3,000 per customer/course).  So they rightly run up the same keyword phrases that I need to use, well beyond the price of my product.  

So AdWords wants me to put in a keyword phrase -- even for the customer match remarketing campaign.  I'd like to read more on why a keyword phrase is required, but I'll go with it, because an ad for business certification shouldn't show up for a running shoe search :-)   So, just to get things going, I choose the most relevant one "business-topic certification" that my partners use and the campaign just sits because I'm not willing to bid $30 CPC.  

Since our shared customers register on my site before starting their courses, providing an email address, I was hoping to use customer match to cause ads for our exams to show up as much as possible - for perhaps $1 CPC -- but certainly not at $30 CPC minimum bid. 

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to pay the same CPC as my partners and competitors do, even though I have customer match, but wanted to check if there are pages that cover these bidding/keyword choices as they related to customer match. 

Thanks for any pointers,   -GT

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

What is the Quality Score for that keyword? 

QS is a big factor in the estimated bids - if you have a low QS then your bid will have to be significantly higher to get a better position than if your keyword has a high score....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Steve,   Thanks for responding.  Quality score is important.  Because I'm not willing to bid $30 per click (for a $40 sale) I'm below the minimum bid to get impressions etc. So no quality score available yet. 

The wish is that customer match would behave like display. 

Perhaps using a long tail, cheaper keyword would get the campaign going.  

-GT