AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can an Adwords campaign have a glitch?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have kind of touched on my problem in previous topic about location targeting in the UK and one of my campaigns attracting clicks from all over the UK even though its only targeting a small search radius.

I am now more clear on location targeting but the strange thing is all of my campaigns except one behave how you would expect, generating clicks from people more or less in and around the targeted search areas.

The one problem campaign is getting clicks from all over the uk but has the same settings as my other campaigns i.e. targeting a small defined search area.

This brings me back to my questions, can there be a glitch with a campaign? Has anybody else had an experience like this?

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Can an Adwords campaign have a glitch?

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hey LocalMover,

Thanks for your questions! Tom provided some really good tips above which I’m going to try to build on now.

Firstly, I just want to mention that it is very difficult to compare the performance of ‘similar’ campaigns. This is because, all campaigns won't target locations of the exact same size with the exact same population/reach. Even if they do, it would still be expected behaviour for all campaigns to perform differently.

As Tom mentioned above, try navigating to your ‘Dimensions’ tab > set your date range to the dates when the campaign was active > select ‘View: User locations’> you will be able to see if a certain location was bringing in the majority of clicks and impressions > you can then exclude the location(s) if the CTR is too low or if you can see a certain area providing the majority of impressions. If your campaign in question is targeting higher populated area(s), you can expect there to be more clicks and impressions from that location compared to other campaigns targeting less densely populated areas.

In addition to this, I recommend using the advanced location options:

-  Target: People in my targeted location

-  Exclude: People in, searching for or viewing pages about my excluded location

I also agree with Tom about adding negative keywords or using certain keyword match types. If you are using broad match keywords, targeting highly populated areas with no negative keywords added to the campaign, I imagine the campaign will have a high number of impressions. It is important to use negative keywords to ensure your ads appear only to people looking for what you offer. 

I hope this helps!

Rachel

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author LocalMover
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have managed to sort this one out myself!

After looking at all the campaigns again I noticed that the campaign causing the problem was using coordinates to locate the marker for the search radius. All the other campaigns use a place name to center the marker for the search radius.

The area I wanted to targeted in the problem campaign (bromley) did not show up as a listed place name when I searched for it in the advanced locations panel so I just added the marker manually where I wanted it. This I guess is what caused the problem as I have now chosen the nearest place name provided by google to center the radius and it seems to be working fine!!

So if this is a glitch or not I don't know but it seems weird why a serach radius using coordinates for its marker would produce these problems!

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey LocalMover,

That is very strange, I'm sure there is something different in that "glitched" campaign settings - and I think that the simplest way for to fix it by

1. "duplicating" one of your "good" campaigns in the editor.
  2. Than you should delete all the AdGroups in the new duplicated campaign
  3. And finally just "copy & paste" the AdGroups from your old ("glitched") campaign into the new one (using the editor again).

Good Luck,

Asaf

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi LocalMover,

I actually had a nice discussion with another member regarding your targeting situation the other day.

Please verify the following and correct me if these statements are incorrect:

1. You have defined physically the areas you want to target using the radius tool and you have no physical exclusions currently set up.

2. You DO NOT want to show ads to users that are outside of this physical area, even if they are looking for services inside of your target area.

3. You DO NOT want to show ads to users inside of your target area that are looking for services outside of your target area.

Ultimately, this is going to probably entail a change in your Advanced Location Options.  Can you also please let us know what you have selected for these options (Settings > Locations and Languages > Location options (advanced).

You may also want to verify that each of your campaigns are using the same options as well.  If there is a difference in these settings it would be good to know that.

Finally, we can work on these setting and get you to the best set of options for your goals but due to issues with accuracy of geo-targeting & IP addresses in the UK, you may still find searches matching your keywords that are not intended.  For these particular situations, you may want to view your search terms reports add in some negative keywords based on the unwanted searches.

Let us know what you find out and we'll see if we can work out a better solution for you.

Thanks,

Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi PPCBossman,

Thanks for your reply, yes you have it completely correct with how I want my campaigns to work. I have checked the settings and these are what I have on all my campaigns:

Languages: English

Location options (advanced)

Target: People in my targeted location

Exclude: People in, searching for or viewing pages about my excluded location

The problem campaign is paused at the moment because I just can't run it due to this problem. I haven't yet created any other campaigns so I don't know if it the problem will repeat itself.

Oh yer, also I am not using any excluded areas!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi LM,

Ok...thanks for the info.  I was hoping that we may find a solvable problem there but it would appear that you have these setting correct.

So you must be using Search Terms Reports or something similar to determine that some impressions/clicks are due to searches from outside of your targeted area.  Do you notice anything in these search terms that you could identify as terms that you could add as negative keywords?  City names are a good place to start but any non-relevant terms are good to include in your negative KW lists.

Another place to take a look at your results would be to select the campaign in question and on the DIMENSIONS tab view 'Geographic' data.  Note, you will need a decent timeframe to view data here, recent days are not updated immediately.  This will not solve anything directly but will shed some insight as to where these searches are being generated from.

You can also use these tools on your other campaigns to see if they are actually functioning the way you believe they are.

Sorry I don't have a complete solution here but with some work, you may be able to improve the performance a bit.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks,

The site is a lead generating site where the vistor fills out the form and its a new site getting only 2 - 3 conversions a day at the moment so I am 100% sure I know where the people clicking the ads are located as they have to fill in their address as part of the form. I have even phoned one of the leads which was 300 miles away when they filled it out.

These out of area leads were from generic keywords that describe our service so I can't really add them a negatives. There are a few area specific keywords I found in the search terms that I can add as negatives but as I mentioned I have just paused the campaign!

I will try your suggestions and see if that sheds any light, I think I will also creating another campaign for another geographic area close to the problem one to see if this has the same issues and then let you know!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, so I have tried deleting the campaign that was causing a problem and then re-creating it to see if the problem continued. Unfortunately this has not solved the problem!

The dodgy campaign is still receiving out of area clicks and getting far more impressions ( 1500+) compared to the other similar campaigns (170 day). This leads me to think that is definately being shown to a much wider audience than the other campaigns.

I managed to speak to a Google representative but they were not really of much help, the first suggestion was to go through the whole of the UK and add each area I don't want my ads to show up in as an excluded location, I started trying this and it was a monumental task, I gave up after 45mins and only excluding 300 locations and doing this every campaign I have would take days or weeks! The next suggestion was to you phrase matching which I have done but I am stilling getting out of area clicks on my generic keywords i.e. house mover, removal companies etc.

So I am now at a loss to work out how to get my campaigns to work for me if I cannot roughly target the defined areas I want.

I am interested in paying someone who would be able to take a look at my campaigns and provide some consultation and advice in setting up my adwords correctly for this lead generation site.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

This doesn't make much sense.

Rather than contacting Google outside of the system, have you tried using the Help link in the upper right-hand corner of the screen (when you're logged in to your AdWords account)?  That will give you the option to connect directly with back-end Google staffers who will have the power to actually look at your account and see what's going on.

There has to be some kind of setting--whether it's in the specific geo-targeting you've chosen or the networks you're serving or what--that's making this campaign behave diffferently. Unfortunately, it sounds to me like it's going to take someone looking at the whole thing to figure it out--there's a limit to the 'help' we can offer here on the forum.

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hey LocalMover,

Thanks for your questions! Tom provided some really good tips above which I’m going to try to build on now.

Firstly, I just want to mention that it is very difficult to compare the performance of ‘similar’ campaigns. This is because, all campaigns won't target locations of the exact same size with the exact same population/reach. Even if they do, it would still be expected behaviour for all campaigns to perform differently.

As Tom mentioned above, try navigating to your ‘Dimensions’ tab > set your date range to the dates when the campaign was active > select ‘View: User locations’> you will be able to see if a certain location was bringing in the majority of clicks and impressions > you can then exclude the location(s) if the CTR is too low or if you can see a certain area providing the majority of impressions. If your campaign in question is targeting higher populated area(s), you can expect there to be more clicks and impressions from that location compared to other campaigns targeting less densely populated areas.

In addition to this, I recommend using the advanced location options:

-  Target: People in my targeted location

-  Exclude: People in, searching for or viewing pages about my excluded location

I also agree with Tom about adding negative keywords or using certain keyword match types. If you are using broad match keywords, targeting highly populated areas with no negative keywords added to the campaign, I imagine the campaign will have a high number of impressions. It is important to use negative keywords to ensure your ads appear only to people looking for what you offer. 

I hope this helps!

Rachel

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author LocalMover
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have managed to sort this one out myself!

After looking at all the campaigns again I noticed that the campaign causing the problem was using coordinates to locate the marker for the search radius. All the other campaigns use a place name to center the marker for the search radius.

The area I wanted to targeted in the problem campaign (bromley) did not show up as a listed place name when I searched for it in the advanced locations panel so I just added the marker manually where I wanted it. This I guess is what caused the problem as I have now chosen the nearest place name provided by google to center the radius and it seems to be working fine!!

So if this is a glitch or not I don't know but it seems weird why a serach radius using coordinates for its marker would produce these problems!