AdWords
1K members online now
1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can We Remarket to Visitors from Social Pages?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are we able to remarket to people who visited our social pages (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Indeed.com page...etc) ... to explain this further.. if I'm an advertiser and has all those social pages for my business am I able to remarket to people who visited any of these pages but not yet visited my site? I understand that it should work with the code on the page for the cookies to work, but aren't there anyway or solution for the social pages? by urls, by any other means of settings within these pages maybe..?

Also what are the referrer url? Couldn't that be a way for the above example? or how else this referrer urls is use as well?

Thank you in advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can We Remarket to Visitors from Social Pages?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think so. It wouldn't really be remarketing either. It's an interesting thought though.

Of course there's other ways that have somewhat the same effect, for example targetting people who like your Facebook page with Facebook Ads.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Irene.

Here's how remarketing works. R is a provider of remarketing services. Visitor V visits website A. R has to be able to place a cookie for V on that website. This usually happens through a script which R needs to be able to host on A. At this point, V has a cookie in his browser.

V goes on and visits website B, with which R has a deal, and runs ads on. R also runs its scripts on B, and can detect if V has the cookie they set for him on website A. If the cookie is present, V sees ads from A.

I'll try to do this with real-world examples: R is Google, and they have a remarketing script on my website. You visit my website, and Google sets a cookie on your browser. Later on, when you visit the New York Times, which display Google ads through AdSense (and maybe Doublecklick for publishers as well), Google detects that you have the cookie that they set for you on my website, and I can show you ads trying to get you back to my website.

If you want to use remarketing through AdWords, for people who have visited your LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter page, Google would have to be able to place their own cookie on those pages. And that's not possible, currently, as far as I know.

What is possible, and I also use this solution, is to remarket, for instance, on Facebook, to people who visited your website, but not the other way around.

Hopefully I did not confuse you more than I made you understand how things work.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Irene,

I'll give you a different answer than what you already have. Yes, you can do this, but only with a custom app for your business page. Facebook allows you to create custom pages as apps. You can run that app from your own server and place just about anything you want on the app page, including the Google remarketing code.

There are plenty of Facebook app developers around who could do this quickly for you. The learning curve for FB apps is tough for just one page. I'd recommend someone with experience building FB apps.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Cool approach - guess that work indeed! Of course you are not remarketing everyone who visited your Facebook page, but only those who visited the app.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Calin,

Thank you for your answer. I actually do know how remarekting works Smiley Happy sorry to have cost you the time to explain this, thank you for that. I only meant to ask about remarekting to also other audience of my advertiser but just they do exist on her/his social pages. I doubted it too because I know there is no place for the script but thought there might be other way.

Also I needed to know more about the referrer urls, do you know how that works? 

Thank you for your help, sure you haven't confused me, really appreciate it.

Irene 

My Online Profiles About.Me | G+ | Twitter

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Great news, Pete. I did not know that about Facebook and I think it's pretty useful stuff.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much Ivan. I hope one day it can be possible to do Smiley Happy

My Online Profiles About.Me | G+ | Twitter

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
No worries, Irene. I don't know what you mean about the referrer URLs. A referrer URLs is the URL of a page with a link that sent me to the current page. So if on www.example.com/somepage.html there's a link to www.mysite.com, when I click that link and land on www.mysite.com the referrer URL is www.example.com/somepage.html.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes Calin, the referrer URL should be a websire or so showed my link were people came directly from that URL to my site. However, I mean there is an option in remarketing audience in AdWords that you can create an audience list based on the Referrer URLs. So I was wondering what to put for that option, it shows you a box to write something in when you choose that option.

Thank you,

Irene

My Online Profiles About.Me | G+ | Twitter