AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can I use a mixed case keyword in my ad ex: Buy eliXir Drinks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to use a mixed case keyword in my ad ex: Buy eliXir Drinks; The keywords I want to replace in the ad is 'eliXir Drinks', 'Cola eliXir' etc.. I know about the following keyword replacement options avaialble but wondering if there is any option to support the the mixed case or to use the case of the bidded keyword as is.

Here the Keyword capitalization options I heard the adword supports:

Keyword – The first word is capitalized
KeyWord – Every word is capitalized
KEYword – Every letter in first word is capitalized
KEYWord – Every letter in the first word AND the first letter of the second
KEYWORD – Every letter is capitalized

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I use a mixed case keyword in my ad ex: Buy eliXir Drinks

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Kumarriavim,

You can't use the mixed keywords and all capitalized keywords in ad text. Kindly read the Google adwords ad text polices to avoid any violation of ad text policy.

Dinesh
My Blog

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Dinesh has the right answer. I just want to add that the only way you could do that is if you have a registered brand name with a mixes case word like eliXir. Then you would have to work with a Google rep and there could be a chance that they would make an exception. But even then, you would most likely have to play by the rules. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Dinesh. As a follow-up question, If i bid for a keyword 'Cola drinks', should I use capitalization option  {Keyword} as replacement in ad or is there a default option to indicate using the case of bidded keyword as is -- in this case to use 'Cola drinks' in ad.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi kumarravim, a good question and I'll admit I don't know the answer.  Ill try and find out for you.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello.

As we know, keywords are not case sensitive. For the AdWords system, "Coca Cola" is just the same as "coca cola". My guess is that when they are stored, in the system, they are stored in their normalized, lowercase form. This is probably why advertisers are given the option to choose a capitalization when using DKI. If they would not choose one, the system would probably serve the default one, i.e. (my guess, again), the lowercase one.

For non-DKI ads, and where keywords are bolded, the ad text is used. If you have the keyword in the ad text, it'll stay the way the ad was written, for example Coca Cola, even when the matched keyword is "coca cola".

Therefore, without knowing for sure, I do not think that there is a way to tell the system to "leave keyword case intact".

My 2 cents.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi kumarravim,

In addition to the excellent replies which you have already received, my thoughts would be in line with all members above. First thing Capitalization is restricted to certain limits as you can read though the Policy link given by Dinesh above. 

Talking about DKI and its usage, please note that if you want to dynamically introduce the keyword from your ad group, you will have to make sure that ad group is tightly created with theme based keywords. Otherwise, there can be a weird situation where the ad meaning is completely changed. Also, make sure about proper grammar, punctuation rules etc...otherwse you might end up in ad dispproval from Google's side.

You can find more details here: How do I use keyword insertion?

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi kumarrvim,

You can only use that sort of gimmicky capitalization if the actual name of the product is "eliXir".  Your ad will probably get disapproved at first, and you'll have to appeal that and provide support with some evidence (e.g. a trademark registration) that the actual product name is written that way.

If you try weird capitalization tricks and that is not the real product name, your ads will get disapproved at the very least for bad capitalizaton.  If we think you're trying to evade some of our automated checks with the weird punctuation, your account may even get permanently suspended.  Don't do that.

Laura

AdWords review engineer.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Calin,

I don't think that is exactly how they do this. If you enter your keywords in mixed case, they will always display to you as mixed case. If the keywords were stored in the database normalized to lower case, Google ould not be able to do that. It is of no real consequence, but it is more likely that Google strips the 8th bit when comparing the search query to your keywords.

I don't do much DKI, but it seems that if no option is preseneted in Google AdWords documentation to retain the capitialization of the keyword, that option does not exist. Otherwise, you could enter your keywords all upper case in an attempt to circumvent the excess capitalization policy.

One other point, in a DKI campaign, individual keywords can be disapproved if they would make the line too long or it they would cause the ad to be in violation of any of AdWords policies.

Exceptions to the capitalization rules are rarely granted in my experience.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

There is no option in Google AdWords to retain the capitialization of the keyword. Google is agnostic to case with adwords searches.

*Bing / Yahoo however, are case sensitive to how you have your keywords setup in your account and match with DKI. So if you have capitalization in your keyword list, they will display with capitalization, and vice versa. 

Use the DKI {KeyWord} options to manipulate your output of the ad.