AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can I target a specific search result page on a site like Ebay for example?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello.

I have a question.

Ref: Google Content Network

I know we can target a specific web site on content network where I want my ads to appear.

Also I know I even can specify a page from a site or an individual ad unit positioned on a single page etc… (managed placement)

But I wonder can I target a specific search result page on a site like Ebay for example…

Here is an example, let’s say I would like to target an ‘office desk’ search result page on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=office+desk&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Is something like this possible? I have seen some ads that appear to be highly targeted.

If this is not possible, can I achieve a similar thing by targeting http://www.ebay.com  as a site and setting  ‘office supplies’ as a category + using ‘office desk’ as a keyword?

Any answer and help would be much appreciated.

PC: I know eBay is part of the Google search partners. Also I heard about techniques how to target a specific keyword (keyword substitute) that are used on search partner sites. But these tehniques are related to text ads.

I am interested in image ads.

If you view these 2 screen shots you will find what appears to be a Google Content Network Display ad. They use the Google Trademarked term ” Ad Choices”.

This is what I am referring to.

Page part 1: http://screencast.com/t/mANyDojFJ

Page part 2 – showing ad: http://screencast.com/t/opEoWrPR

Thank You in advance

Imre

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I target a specific search result page on a site like Ebay for example?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi lmre78,

This is a great question. You can definitely use your example URL for the eBay search results page as a managed place, but keep in mind this will only target a page resulting in that exact search query. You could potentially take the time to search all of the queries you would like to show for on eBay and add them all as managed placements, but search query variations can be very difficult to account for.

I think your best bet here to make sure you are not limiting your traffic and missing out on relevant "eBay searches" is to use a combination of managed placements and contextual keywords. You can then look in your automatic placements report for actual URL's, see which ones have significant traffic and performance metrics, and move those into a highly aggressive managed placements ad group.

As for targeting eBay as a search partner, it's my understanding that Google will not target any display ads based on search queries regardless of the fact that eBay is a search partner AND in the GDN. I'm almost positive that any image ads use exclusively Display Network targeting for placement.

To summarize, I'd start with a combo of managed placements + contextual keywords (make sure your flexible reach settings at the ad group level are setup to only show for this combo), analyze your automatic placement report and get more specific from there.

Alex

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

amartin527 - thank you for your replay.

I'd just like to confirm...

We have been nformed that Ebay is a search partner.

We have fiurther been informed that search strings like the example I have posted are dynamic and whle Google allows managed placement on targeted dynamic URL that we can not target search strings.

Since all urls on Ebay are search strings... the real question is, can the url specific targeting be done on Ebay?

Thank you,
Imre

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Imre ;

I agree with Alex on the concept / method.

For your specific question about dynamic URL and search strings - I will ask Pete, one of our Top contributors, who is an expert on that to comment.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

lmre78,

This is a great question and piqued my curiousity so I asked a very formiddable Google rep. As far as she can tell, this is not possible "unless thats an available placement". I took this as unless you see this in your automatic placement report or can track it down via the Placement Tool (I was unable to) I don't think you'll be able to target that specific search string.

Alex

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi lmre78,

I'm really not sure what Moshe wanted to ask me.

I went on eBay to try to see if they are Search or Display partners. They have it all set up to make that difficult to do,  but I did find 2 different ad formats on a search page. One section was text ads and said "Sponsored ads" above it. The ads look like Google format, but the links all go through eBay, I'm guessing eBay then forwards the click to Google to record the click then forwards them to the define landing page. There was also one larger image ad, which also looks a lot like AdWords for domains. But the ad shown did not look particularly related to the seach I did. (Search query: 1938 Guild in Musical instruments. Was shown a display ad for Cox cable.)

It looks like you can target search results pages for the Display Network, but not for an specific queries. In order to target a particluar page on a web site, the web site owner needs to define those pages as targetable (?). If that hasn't been done on eBay, the best you can do is target the whole site and use keywords to try to target. I don't know how well that will work due to the dynamic nature of the pages. I do not know whether Google uses localy cached pages to determine relevancy of your ad or if they analyse the whole page first every time it is rendered. Even on my static pages where I show Google ads, the items in the ads are rarely closely related to the text on the page. I would imagine it would be worse on a dynamic page.

And, no, you can not target search network partners through managed placements.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Thanks Pete about the explanation about targeting specific webpage on display, for a specific query.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’