AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can I set a variable daily budget in adwords?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Lets say I want to set $100 as budget for Fri, Sat, Sun and $200 as daily budget for Mon thru Thu. Is this possible in Adwords?

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Can I set a variable daily budget in adwords?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I have never tested, but you may try with Automated rules.

Select the campaing and create rule- Change daily budget . and then follow steps in screenshot.

Again, I have not tried it my self.

Similarly you can create another rul to decrease budget on each monday.

change daily budget.png

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Kartik, Anil's method would be the one I'd use, although there are other options (for example, running two separate Campaigns, or using Scripts).

However, I'm more interested in why you'd want to do this.  If you're in the situation where your current daily budget - for every day - is $200 and you've found that Mon-Thursday is unprofitable, then you should be looking at different options to make them profitable rather than reducing the budget.  For example, bid adjustments, Ad Scheduling and so on - perhaps even to the extent of not advertising at all on certain days.  Operating on a limited budget severely affects your chance of achieving conversions and you should always run AdWords Campaigns such that they have a 100% impression share (or very close to it).  The trick to maintaining profitability in this situation is to use the tools I've described, not to reduce the budget.

If, on the other hand, Mon - Thursday are still profitable, why restrict their budget at all?

Can you expand on your thinking?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I have never tested, but you may try with Automated rules.

Select the campaing and create rule- Change daily budget . and then follow steps in screenshot.

Again, I have not tried it my self.

Similarly you can create another rul to decrease budget on each monday.

change daily budget.png

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Kartik, Anil's method would be the one I'd use, although there are other options (for example, running two separate Campaigns, or using Scripts).

However, I'm more interested in why you'd want to do this.  If you're in the situation where your current daily budget - for every day - is $200 and you've found that Mon-Thursday is unprofitable, then you should be looking at different options to make them profitable rather than reducing the budget.  For example, bid adjustments, Ad Scheduling and so on - perhaps even to the extent of not advertising at all on certain days.  Operating on a limited budget severely affects your chance of achieving conversions and you should always run AdWords Campaigns such that they have a 100% impression share (or very close to it).  The trick to maintaining profitability in this situation is to use the tools I've described, not to reduce the budget.

If, on the other hand, Mon - Thursday are still profitable, why restrict their budget at all?

Can you expand on your thinking?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

I am running a B2B campaign and wanted to keep a less budget on less profitable days which are usually over the weekend. My initial thought was to turn off the campaign on weekend which is what you are suggesting and I am more inclined to this solution.

I see your point that limiting the budget could hamper profitability. My goal is to maximize the conversions within the budget that I have.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Kartik, in your situation I might suggest you actually go down the route of using entirely separate Campaigns for weekdays/weekends.  It's possible that the entire behaviour of search is different on these days in your circumstances, not just in terms of budget.  For example, it may not be all of your Keywords that are less profitable at weekends or it could be that reducing CPCs will bring the weekends into profitability.  While it would be possible to examine and react to these variations within a single Campaign, since you have firm proof that the weekends are different, it'll be a lot easier to optimise as separate Campaigns.

Jon