AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can I see missed traffic due to a negative word i chose ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Let's say i selected to add "no 3 boulevard" on my negative word list to avoid seeing clicks from people who search my keywords and that expression.

Can i see from a report the traffic that i missed ? For example "40 people searched for your keywords + your negative word , in the last 7 days ?

That would be useful to reconsider certain negative words or restrict them to an exact phrase match.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Can I see missed traffic due to a negative word i chose ?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian B,

Well I would not like to spend time on unwanted traffic, I would like to utilize my time in looking forward to more opportunities.

Negative keywords which I intially add in my account is general keywords that is not profitable at all. Afterwards I add negative keywords from search query after analyzing certain facts.

If I have doubt on adding any negative keywords, I generally prefer to do google search and see wat all results are coming. If I find results are related I don add as negative and If results are not related i add as negative.

Firstly I get idea from search query what exactly people are seaching to reach my product/services, if still I sometimes get a dobut like you said people can type in "product x NOT made in uk", I would prefer to add this keywords in keyword search tool and see if I get results and what are search volume and compeition. I personally feel these kind of keywords will have "Low search Volume" which will not show much impressons and clicks untill uGoogle gets some search data for this keyword.

when I have high doubts adding any keyword in broad negative, I prefer to use exact match negative keyword keeping in mind thse keywords will not have much searches. In your example I will keyword in exact match type. won't add in broad and phrase match type. Then I analyze search query, If I see keyword related to UK getting lot of clicks and consuming cost. I will directly add them as a broad.

Also there is across adgroup negative keyword, I would like to utilize this. I will create a new adgroup with keywords Not made in UK, and add "made in uk" negaive in all other adgroup. So after a certain period of time I will get an idea if these kind of keywords works.

And whenever I do my keyword research, along with positive I also collect negative keywords considering search volume etc.

I think there are lot we can do with adwords and targeting both seach, display network, remarketing etc etc. Instead of findind out time for Negative keywords missed opportunties, I will spend my time in thinking and strategize campaign to get more traffic via other opportunties.

Hope that makes some sense.

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

No, there's no feature like that in the program.

What you can do is to use the keyword/traffic tools to monitor how much search traffic there is for various phrases. You can spot-check your keywords+negative keywords there to see what kind of traffic they might produce.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what to suggest. You should add something as a negative keyword because you don't want that traffic--it's not good traffic for you, for your purposes. How much volume that traffic might consist of isn't really relevant is the traffic isn't "good" traffic for your purposes?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello again Adrian

To follow with Theresa;

Negative keywords are aimed to filter undesired traffic - serving as a (partial) "firewall". The same way you have no particular interest about the source of an inbound blocked traffic, attempting to harm your computer; why would you care to analyze search queries (attempting to be) irrelevant for your business?

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Here are some examples to prove my point.

Let's say that i see 30 clicks on my products and the phrases include "made in uk" along with the product name. My products are from ....maybe Italy and therefore i think it might be good to exclude "made in uk" BUT if the next person searches for "product x NOT made in uk " maybe it is interested in my products and i miss that client just because it included not + "negative keyword"

Another example : If i sell touristic packages to a destination and a lot of people are searching for "trips to x cheaper than 1000 euro" , should i include "cheaper than 1000 euro" as a negative for that destination ? Maybe not because there could be a phrase like "trips to x cheaper than 1000 euro per night" written by a luxury client. The difference is that the first client wanted an very low price for an entire week and the second client wanted the same low price but per night.

Wouldn't it be useful to have a "suggestion tool" to help me avoid bad negative words by telling me other actual phrases searched by people , related to my negative word ?

I have read about a technique of generating an ad group for every profitable keyword leaving it in the broad match form , and just catching various phrases on that ad group to get an idee for what long tail keywords would be good , but it is not practical for managing multiple campaigns simultaneously.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian B,

Well I would not like to spend time on unwanted traffic, I would like to utilize my time in looking forward to more opportunities.

Negative keywords which I intially add in my account is general keywords that is not profitable at all. Afterwards I add negative keywords from search query after analyzing certain facts.

If I have doubt on adding any negative keywords, I generally prefer to do google search and see wat all results are coming. If I find results are related I don add as negative and If results are not related i add as negative.

Firstly I get idea from search query what exactly people are seaching to reach my product/services, if still I sometimes get a dobut like you said people can type in "product x NOT made in uk", I would prefer to add this keywords in keyword search tool and see if I get results and what are search volume and compeition. I personally feel these kind of keywords will have "Low search Volume" which will not show much impressons and clicks untill uGoogle gets some search data for this keyword.

when I have high doubts adding any keyword in broad negative, I prefer to use exact match negative keyword keeping in mind thse keywords will not have much searches. In your example I will keyword in exact match type. won't add in broad and phrase match type. Then I analyze search query, If I see keyword related to UK getting lot of clicks and consuming cost. I will directly add them as a broad.

Also there is across adgroup negative keyword, I would like to utilize this. I will create a new adgroup with keywords Not made in UK, and add "made in uk" negaive in all other adgroup. So after a certain period of time I will get an idea if these kind of keywords works.

And whenever I do my keyword research, along with positive I also collect negative keywords considering search volume etc.

I think there are lot we can do with adwords and targeting both seach, display network, remarketing etc etc. Instead of findind out time for Negative keywords missed opportunties, I will spend my time in thinking and strategize campaign to get more traffic via other opportunties.

Hope that makes some sense.

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have learned from your post the following :

1) A professional uses "keyword search tool" always for negatives, and for the ones that is not sure uses exact phrase match with [] signs.

2) A test unit for negative words is an ad group separate for every one, in a broad form to statistically tell if they bring bad traffic or not, after 1-2 weeks, not instantly add all potential negative keywords to the list.

3) I have started to use the general list of negative words that apply to all my campaigns, that is indeed useful.

4) Time is better spent in bringing more good trafic from display networks and remarketing.

Thank you to all the contributors that helped me understand how an "adwords veteran" reacts to not useful search queries that last 0 seconds.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Adrian B;

I think you misunderstood Neha; 

Your conclusions are "far away" from her intent (and mine...)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’