AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can I have a good campaign without keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am new to adwords and this is my second campaign. The 1st campaign went well but somehow this second campaign is attracting little or no clicks. The bidding is a bit higher than the 1st campaign

This second campaign is broad and I don't want it to be keyword restricted, I tried deleting the keywords and I have zero clicks

What do I do?

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Can I have a good campaign without keywords?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Murphy,

You cannot run a search network campaign without keywords, unless you are using dynamic search ads.

But you can run your ads on the Google Display Network without keywords if you are using managed placements.

What type of ads you are running? (text, image) and which network (search, display)?

Deepak

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Murphy A
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Murphy A

On the display network, - Most likely that would be the reason; Though there is a quality score for the display network that also  factors in, though Google does not disclose it.

Read more about QS on the display network

http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=152234

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Murphy,

You cannot run a search network campaign without keywords, unless you are using dynamic search ads.

But you can run your ads on the Google Display Network without keywords if you are using managed placements.

What type of ads you are running? (text, image) and which network (search, display)?

Deepak

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello there;

Deepak is correct (obviously), but I wouldn't recommend to run a campaign on the display network without keywords; keywords on the display network define a theme. The system tries to match the keywords' theme to web pages that have similar theme, (or webpages with content that matches this theme).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for trying to put me through. I am running both text and image and also targeting both search and display. My problem is that I am recieving very little clicks. I want my ad to run everywhere without being restricted to specific keywords. I know it could also be that my bidding is low but I want to make sure every other thing is right before I start tweaking my bid since my bid for now is slightly higher than my previous campaign which did well.

I am willing to disable search if the display can do the magic (my previous campaign did not include search)

Thanks again for your time

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again Murphy A;

>>>> "I want my ad to run everywhere without being restricted to specific keywords".

In a nutshell:

This is not how search advertising works. AdWords search campaigns is based on showing users relevant ads that match the search query or the  search query intent.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

I tried using the keyword tool but the keywords I selected kept saving on the left hand side but when I go to my campaign/keywords, they are not there. How can I use the keyword tool to generate keywords and save them directly to my campaign without inputing them manually.

Secondly, since I said I would want my ad to run on a broad spectrum of keywords (just like a bank would want to advertise to everybody, painter, doctor, movie actor, plumber, etc). What would be the short cut to achieving this without using keywords since it will be hectic task?

Thanks for helping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks. I'm already learning a lot.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi again;

You should be able to use the the keyword tool to add keywords;

Check this help article:

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2470029?hl=en;

As for your other question: you could do that only on the display network, using Placements. However, I would not recommend that. You are risking of having your ads shown on irrelevant web-pages to your business.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks MosheTLV for taking time to explain this to me. One more question

Will I be correct in saying that after inputing the relevant keywords and the campaign is still not doing well, that it is time to start raising my bid?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Murphy A
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Murphy A

On the display network, - Most likely that would be the reason; Though there is a quality score for the display network that also  factors in, though Google does not disclose it.

Read more about QS on the display network

http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=152234