AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can I exclude retargeting who click on an outbound link?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I plan to display a banner on my website - clicking on the banner leads user to an app store.

I want to exclude this user from being retargeted from my adwords campaign.

Is it possible to do this? How do I do this? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Spike-Patching (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Can I exclude retargeting who click on an outbound link?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dev H,

Great question and yes that is possible.

In order to exclude these users, you will need to set up Google Analytics event tracking on the banner, this will track all users who click through to the app store.

You can then set this event up as a Goal in Analytics, then when you create your remarketing list you can create a custom combination which targets all users who have visited the site, excluding those who have clicked on the banner.

I hope that all makes sense, happy to guide you through the event tracking and remarketing list set up should you need some assistance.

Kate

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Spike-Patching (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dev H,

Great question and yes that is possible.

In order to exclude these users, you will need to set up Google Analytics event tracking on the banner, this will track all users who click through to the app store.

You can then set this event up as a Goal in Analytics, then when you create your remarketing list you can create a custom combination which targets all users who have visited the site, excluding those who have clicked on the banner.

I hope that all makes sense, happy to guide you through the event tracking and remarketing list set up should you need some assistance.

Kate

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello.

One way would be to trigger an event in Google Analytics when any outbound click happens.
Then create a list, in Google Analytics, with visitors who triggered that event.
Export that remarketing audience in AdWords and use it as a negative audience.

Reference: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2611268?hl=en
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
+1