AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can I add shortened urls in managed placements?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I got a very simple question here.

As we all know google does not allow us to add more than a two level url in the managed placements(while if you do so adwords won't save the changes and gives the error).

I was wondering if i can include a shortened url(shortened by google url shortner) in my managed placements?

Will it hurt my adwords acount or is it gonna work?

Thanks for your time.Smiley Happy

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I add shortened urls in managed placements?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Abli;

This is a nice question...

To my understanding, when you add a placement, the system matches the URL (added) with a known list of URLs, where ads can be displayed ...(If the URL is on the list - the placement is approved.)

If you use the shortened URL (which is unique to your account) - the system cannot verify that the URL (included) is on the list.

This is my understanding of adding a managed placement URL.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Mosh,
Me too did think the same way untill i did an experiment and check my thoughts..i took a four level url and shortened it through google url shortner and then added it as a managed placement...the system surprisingly accepted it.I got shocked so i deleted it cause i didnt want my account in any kind of a trouble...and did some google to find if someone had similar case but couldn't...so came here to find if it can work or not in a right way?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

I don't know for sure, but I have thoughts. Smiley Happy

The system could have accepted the shortened URL initially, based on first-scan evaluation that seemed to show that the URL did not "break the rules."  However, it could have failed when active ad serving was attempted against the shortened URL. (That is, it's always possible that your URL would appear to be accepted, but get disapproved later. Account component approvals have many layers.)

Even aside from that, what I think is likely to happen is that the destination website is not set up to accept URLs at any more specific level than Google serves them. If you "break" Google's system, you risk "breaking" the destination website's ad management the same way. Not only will you fail to get your ads served, but you could risk getting in trouble for trying to game the system.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Abli,

I don't have any answers for you, but I do have a question. I'm just a bit confused.

"i took a four level url and shortened it through google url shortner"

What do you mean by a four level url?

Thanks,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords