AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Can I add a "Display Network" feature to existing "search network only" campaign

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there any downsides in extending a successful search network only -campaign to a Search Network with Display Select type? And can I change it back, if I don't think it is worth it? Or on the other hand, should I just make a new campaign and pause existing one? Obviously I want the good quality score history to carry on to the new display network ads too.

Can I add a "Display Network" feature to existing "search network only" campaign

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mikko,

One downside of using a Search Network with Display Select is that you can't allocate budget.

Let's say you start it and notice a week in that Display is running a lot better than Search, you wouldn't be able to allocate Display it's own budget to run with.

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Not sure if you can, but it's a terrible idea...for several reasons. Search and display are different in terms of intent...active vs passive. Plus, you will find that display has a lot more available impressions and will most likely monopolize the budget, getting more clicks from people wanting to learn more instead of actively looking. ALWAYS separate search and display...gives you budgetary control as well as messaging control.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Mikko P M

Your question appears to hinge on quality score for your future display ads. Search quality score has no correlation or impact on display campaign quality score. Thus, adding display to your search campaign will not be a productive endeavor for that purpose.

Also, as mentioned by @Kyle Reeves it is a bad decision for managing the account. The less control you will have by using the same settings for search and display limit the effectiveness of the account over time (such as display spending more of the campaign budget, running at times you do not want it to, etc).

Consider adding a separate display campaign.

Let me know if that helps!

Nick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Nick. This pretty much sums it up and answers my question. Separate campaigns seems to be the only sensible

option.

-Mikko

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Kyle!

-Mikko

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Matthew!

-Mikko