AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Campaigns Competing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey! 

Do ads running under the same campaign bid against each other if they're in different adgroups? Is it healthy for me to run several adgroups (having different targeting strategies) under the same campaign? 

And if I decided to rotate the ads evenly on the campaign level, are all the ads in my campaign rotated evenly? or are they only rotated evenly on the adgroup level?

I guess what I'm asking is: Can ad rotation in any way help me not bid/compete with myself?

Thanks! 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Campaigns Competing

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Marc A,

First, there' no point in having the same keywords in more than one ad group. Only one of those keywords will trigger your ad 90% of the time or higher. The system will not show 2 ads from the same account (or the same domain) on a single SERP.

That said, if there are different targeting strategies, this is not a problem. Ads are only rotated within an ad group, not for the whole campaign. The first thing that happens is your keyword list is examined for possible matches to the query. If more than one keyword or targeting method is eligible, an "mini auction" is held. The keyword with the higher QS will generally win out in this auction. After that, an ad is selected from the same ad group based on your rotation settings.

A lot of folks on this forum talk about keywords "competing with themselves". I think this is a mistaken concept. This "competition" implies that you could be driving up your CPC's by having the same keyword in more than one group. That's not really the case. The final CPC depends on your competitions' bidding.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If ads are in different adgroups then they compete with each other.
It is not healthy, that is a must, or at least desirable.

They are rotated evenly on adgroup level.

Hm, you can schedule time for running campaigns in that manner that they don`t overlap and thus compete with each other.

Regards.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Marc A,

First, there' no point in having the same keywords in more than one ad group. Only one of those keywords will trigger your ad 90% of the time or higher. The system will not show 2 ads from the same account (or the same domain) on a single SERP.

That said, if there are different targeting strategies, this is not a problem. Ads are only rotated within an ad group, not for the whole campaign. The first thing that happens is your keyword list is examined for possible matches to the query. If more than one keyword or targeting method is eligible, an "mini auction" is held. The keyword with the higher QS will generally win out in this auction. After that, an ad is selected from the same ad group based on your rotation settings.

A lot of folks on this forum talk about keywords "competing with themselves". I think this is a mistaken concept. This "competition" implies that you could be driving up your CPC's by having the same keyword in more than one group. That's not really the case. The final CPC depends on your competitions' bidding.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,

Thank you for your answer!

But just to get this straight, assume I have one adgroup targeting a keyword with a 2$ max bid, and another adgroup targeting a display placement with a 1$ max bid. Let's say both adgroup criterion go into the same auction for an ad spot, one of them will bid 2$ and the other will bid 1$, the ad that bid 2$ will win because it would get higher rank, and it will end up paying 1.01$ (because it's a second price auction, right?). So how is it not driving the bid price up? If the other ad was not bidding 1$ against me then the first ad would've potentially won the auction for less than 1$, since (potentially) no one else could be bidding against me. Aren't my other ads (in different adgroups) considered as competition bidding, and thus would drive up my bids?

Thanks,
Marc A.