AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign structure

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

I am in the process of changing the structure of a rather large AdWords account and wondering if anyone can share some thoughts.

Some backgroud:

• There are several groups of audicences (in terms of preference or level of interest), for whom we would like to use different ad copies, landing pages, and sitelinks
  • We want to run a separate campaign geotarged for each region (prefecture) so that we can use a separate copy and landing page
  • We also run ads with geo keywords, actual geographic names, e.g. pharamcy job tokyo

What is troubling here is that there are some settings that can be only configured at the campaign level, i.e. sitelinks and geotargeting. This means that we need to create quite a lot of campaigns, e.g. 240 campaigns if we have 6 target groups and 40 regions (for each device). 

Another issue is that we have so many ads that won't show due to lack of search volume in ads with geo keywords. They do have high CTRs when shown, but I am not sure how deep I should add these geo keywords.

Thanks,

Rion

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Campaign structure

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

For campaign level settings you can use APIs to a certain extent to achive this and reducing mannual efforts.

For sitelinks (destination urls) you can use valuetrack copy parameter to genereate runtime sitelink destination urls for each adgroup or each keyword. 

I have a campaign which has more than 1000 tvirutal sitelink urls like mentioned above under one campaign

You should look at this API service and try testing if it works conditionally https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/reference/latest/CampaignService.GeoTargetTypeSetting...

Hope it helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Nik.

We mostly depend on Excel to manage campaigns now. We will consider using APIs in the future. Using automated bidding system like AdLens is also an option, too.

- Rion

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Rion, 

The thing with low search volume keywords is that they rarely trigger your ad as few people are searching for them on Google right now. They tend to be associated with more long tail keywords (often times with keywords that include locations). We monitor these keywords closely and if traffic on these keywords picks up we will allow them to trigger your ads to show.

I know it may not be an ideal solution, but potentially adding more keywords that are less specific might generate you more traffic.

A. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Alys,

Eaxctly. We have keywords with loations. It is nice to have locations in ad copies and it raises CTR, but most locations do not attract enough impressions for our ads to show.

Should we remove these keywords or keep them to see if they show up in the future? We do have less specific keywords, which generate a lot of traffic.

Thanks,

Rion

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Rion, 

You wouldn't necessarily need to pause or remove these low search volume keywords if you have better performing keywords in your ad group that are generating you decent traffic. As a way to make the ad group more manageable you might want to consider pausing them. This one is really up to you based on your preference! The low search volume won't have a massive negative effect, but it might make life easier (account management wise) if you paused the keywords. 

Hope that was in some way helpful!

A.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I actually had the same case myself a few years ago when I was working in the Recruitment industry. Instead of using just one account, I actually used 7 or 8 of them to add a level of hierarchy using an MCC to access them easily). Each account were destinated to 1 big industry (IT, Finance/accounting, engineering, Marketing/Sales, etc...).

Add a level of hierarchy in the organisation of your campaigns/ ad groups, etc... helps tremedously so you don't end up with too many campaigns in the same account. However, you have to take in consideration that this level of hierarchy is a bit more challenging to pull reports too.

By the way, you can have sitelinks on the ad group level now :-)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Oh, I didn't know that sitelinks can be set on the ad group level. That would make the campaign organization much easier. Thanks!

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hi there, 

Just to clarify there, sitelinks can't be set at the ad group level, they can only be set at the campaign level. The sitelinks you choose at the campaign level will apply to all ad groups, so make sure they're relevant for all of your ad groups!

Hope this makes things clearer!

A.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rectification: Sitelinks are on Ad group level just on a few accounts. I have used it myself so this is definitely coming. You may not have it yet.