AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign audience exclusions problem

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello AdWords PPL,

I have set my Campaign audience exclusions. So if someone go to for example www.lukas.sk/email they should be excluded. 

I have been to  www.lukas.sk/email and when I search on google I see my ads.

So why I see my ads if I am  in my excluded audience?

Thank you

- Lukas
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lukas Melichar
September 2015

Re: Campaign audience exclusions problem

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 13
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lukas, I think I figured it out. From this page 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549058?hl=en

It says that excluding audiences is restricted to display campaigns, even if the interface allows us to add the "excluded audience" also in a search campaign, the outcome as you tested it is that the exclusion does not work.

What you can do is this : add the audience of "converted visitors" as Targeting ( not exclusion) and set a very low bid adjustment to it , as in -99%, this way every time a previous converted visitor is typing a search term which could potentially match your keywords, the bid will be reduced close to zero and your Ads will not show. 

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lukas

Have you changed the bid multiplier to -100% and if you have just recently visited the page then i suggest that you wait for some hours so that Adwords system complete the desire task.

And one more point which i think we should take in consideration is : A remarketing list for Google search ads must have at least 1,000 users on it before it can be used to start serving ads.

Please refer the post below for more:

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2280819/Google-AdWords-Remarketing-Lists-For-Search-Ads-RLSA-Th...

Hope this help!

Abhishek

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The main problem could be that those 1000 to be excluded should also be logged in , as shared by this user who has been in contact with Google phone support ( message 14) 

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Remarketing-both-script-and-iframe-used/m-p/...

When you navigate to audience in your Shared library , if you click on the Audience for exclusion, you can also see various details such as growth of audience in time and demographics. Some times I have noticed sudden drops of audiences, yesterday it was 25.000, today is 18.000, something like that  minus 30%

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian

I just now read the Adwords Help post for RLSA and there it is mentioned that:
A re-marketing list for Google search ads needs to have a minimum number of 1000 cookies before the list can be used to tailor your search ads. This helps protect the privacy of those who make up your list.

Please refer to the post below for more:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en

Abhishek

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Campaign audience exclusions list is 3800 excluded

@  Abhishek S I believe I use different seting. I cant set Bid multiplier to -100%

campaing-exclusion.jpg

What is strage, it shows i dont use the remarketing list (reachmail) even as u can see in first picture I am using it.

remarketing-list.jpg

- Lukas

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, you have excluded the list. It is showing that "This list is currently unused" may be because here it shows where the list is being used for inclusion not for exclusion.
Its my thought, i am not completely sure on this!

Abhishek

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I double checked with google support and the person there says there is no minimum requirement for 1000 to be "logged in" anywhere simultaneously, (with a user and password) once the cookies are saved in the browsers. They could do normal non-identifiable browsing and still get served Ads.

If you have an audience of 2000, even 10 of them can be online searching and still the ad group could receive impressions.

Now as to what "logged in" means and what role it plays it was very weird to find out this :

- only when the users visit your site and they could receive the remarketing cookie they have to be logged in somewhere , not even a google site, even yahoo or webmail.

The point of this is anonymity, if a user for example is using Incognito mode or does normal browsing not after using a users+password on any site, they are considered anonymous and should not be tracked with remarketing.

So if your audience is already big, they fulfilled the requirement of getting the remarketing cookie in their browser "only after being logged in".

As for "Where the list is used" I can confirm it means only Targeting, not "used for exclusion" I have many lists and none of them used for targeting appears to be reported in the "where the list is used".

So your exclusion problem could be solved by setting just "Targeting" to a "Customised audience" with a rule : all visitors from "Audience A" and none from "Audience B" , this way you can see reported data , if the list is used and how many they are.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Adrian for adtional information. The solution "autience A and B" isnt good for this situation. Its good if I wanna bit more for audience A and not to audience B. Its also good if I wanna target only audinece A. What I really want is not to show ads in search camping to audience B, because I know they will not buy anything.
- Lukas

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Maybe you have seen your Ads because the site could not properly place the remarketing cookie.

Is your browser accepting 3rd party cookies , did you navigate in a "logged in mode" when visiting your site , either in a google account or a yahoo or facebook account . Does your browser clear the cookies at exit or keeps them ?

It seems that adwords has a way of determining if you have a "logged in " state, no matter on what site, this making you non-anonymous.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I have checked the place - its OK
It doesnt clear cookies.
OK let say I have set AdWords right just for some reason as "logged in" its now working right.
- Lukas