AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign Upgrade Hurts the Pocket Book

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Google for the latest upgrade you found a way to make a ton of money, so my stock will continue to go up.  I've been humming along fine over the last 5 years with a campaign that averaged 20-30 clicks per month (quality clicks).  After your upgrade I'm now averaging over 100 and draining my account like it was my 3 yr old drinking a Dr. Pepper.   To add insult now most of them are are crappy clicks.  I think I've hopefully put an end to you making extra money off of me through neutering your display network craziness.  But a bit of warning would have been nice that by the way with this upgrade we are going to over quadruple your impressions on places that make no sense so you should really really go look at your display network settings.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephen L
September 2015

Re: Campaign Upgrade Hurts the Pocket Book

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Stephen, sorry to hear you're having problems with your upgrade.

To be honest though, I'd expect anyone going through such a dramatic upgrade to their advertising would be monitoring the effect very closely and doing anything necessary to prevent or limit change or loss.  Upgrading is still a manual process at the moment so most advertisers are upgrading one Campaign at a time to evaluate the new methods and prepare themselves for upgrading their remaining Campaigns.

If you're receiving clicks that are irrelevant that is more often about the Ads themselves than where they're placed.  If I'm not interested in your Ad, why would I click it?  You may be able to leverage these new potential customers into increased business if you take the time to examine your Ads and perhaps modify them for the new audience, or restructure your Campaign.

In terms of warning, the upgrade to Enhanced Campaigns was announced back in early February which, with a deadline for upgrade of the 22nd July, would I feel be a reasonable time.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephen L
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Stephen, sorry to hear you're having problems with your upgrade.

To be honest though, I'd expect anyone going through such a dramatic upgrade to their advertising would be monitoring the effect very closely and doing anything necessary to prevent or limit change or loss.  Upgrading is still a manual process at the moment so most advertisers are upgrading one Campaign at a time to evaluate the new methods and prepare themselves for upgrading their remaining Campaigns.

If you're receiving clicks that are irrelevant that is more often about the Ads themselves than where they're placed.  If I'm not interested in your Ad, why would I click it?  You may be able to leverage these new potential customers into increased business if you take the time to examine your Ads and perhaps modify them for the new audience, or restructure your Campaign.

In terms of warning, the upgrade to Enhanced Campaigns was announced back in early February which, with a deadline for upgrade of the 22nd July, would I feel be a reasonable time.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Cobnut you are right about me watching closer but I really have never had them make this big of a change...and guess I really didn't think it would make that much difference (again my fault). But I figured I would maybe give some extra heads up for people who haven't updated yet.

As far the the bad clicks. I disagree. Google is now throwing my ads on mobile game apps and my ads have no business being on a mobile game app. There are many other weird places that I can't get any correlation on why they think it fits.

I do find it interesting with the upgrade all of a sudden my mail.google.com impressions went up almost 100 fold. Not sure how just agreeing to the "upgrade" meant that they would just now go crazy with my ad on gmail. I'm guessing I didn't lower my CPC near enough compared to everyone else? only guess I have.

Again I do agree I should have watched it closer after, but I think instead of making the process so smooth (oh it was smooth...just click this and this we suggest lowering it by XX..ok..ok done) that your clicks were possibly going to go through the roof. My point of view is this is just one aspect of my job not my whole job (not in SEO, Ads and the such) so wasn't watching as careful as I should have.