AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign Help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone, 

I am having difficulty with my campaign. The client is a towing company who places a great deal of emphasis on getting calls. Originally, I was getting a decent number of clicks for my budget and had a good CTR. However, the client wasn't getting any calls because the majority of my clicks were PC. Over the last week, I've played with my campaign a bit. When people see my ad on their mobile phones, instead of the ad leading them to the website a button appears to initiate a call. Recently, I included a 300% mobile bid adjustment and decreased my CPC bids try and eliminate computer clicks and raise the amount for mobile. However, that has not been that successful. Does anybody have any other ideas because I don't really know what to do anymore?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael B
September 2015

Re: Campaign Help

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Michael,

I agree with what Sumanth has said and have a few ideas I'd like to contribute in addition to his.

It might help to use AdWords Website Call tracking or another call tracking provider. That way you can track calls that occur on your website, as well as your call extensions. More info can be found here: http://adwords.blogspot.com/2014/08/introducing-website-call-conversions.html

Otherwise, it might just be too soon to see if your bid adjustments have helped. Mobile clicks are typically much cheaper than desktop, so I would think that decreasing CPCs and implementing a high modifier should weed out most of your desktop traffic, however, towing is likely pretty competitive on mobile devices so that might not be the case.

With your mobile call extensions, have you disabled the destination URL? That way you can ensure that their only option is to call. It sounds like you have already done this but I just want to be sure. It is a setting within the call extension that can be selected but is not selected by default.

Hope this helps!
Amy Bishop, Clix Marketing

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Michael,

How long has it been since the mobile bid increase? You can use Segment by 'Click Type' in the campaign stats page, to understand how many clicks the call extension has received. Reducing keyword level bids and increasing mobile bid adjustment would minimize desktop traffic for sure. However, please ensure mobile bids (including +300%) are sufficient to show up in a good position. You'll have to calculate this based on the Top page bid estimates. Ensure you have mobile preferred ads in each ad group.

Looking forward to other expert suggestions!

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It has been two days now since I have implemented the 300% mobile bid adjustment. I am getting mixed results. My campaign is in two languages, English and French. For the French campaign, my CTR is above 1% for mobile. I am happy with this. However, for English, my mobile CTR is below 1%. For example yesterday, I received 10 mobile clicks for French and only 1 for English. My ad position for the English campaign is better than the french campaign. I find this a little odd. Additionally, I am still getting a lot of impressions from computers which is driving down my overall CTR

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Michael,

It is possible that your French campaign has less competition than the English. It wouldn't be an equal comparison, as historical performance & quality score could be different. Hence, I'd suggest comparing statistics of the same campaign, before & after the Mobile Bid increase. Try giving it some more time. I know you've decreased keyword level bids to eliminate desktop traffic. Are they so low that first page impression isn't possible? If not, try decreasing it further and also ensure your keywords bids + mobile bid adjustment lead to a figure more than the top page bids.

- Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael B
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Michael,

I agree with what Sumanth has said and have a few ideas I'd like to contribute in addition to his.

It might help to use AdWords Website Call tracking or another call tracking provider. That way you can track calls that occur on your website, as well as your call extensions. More info can be found here: http://adwords.blogspot.com/2014/08/introducing-website-call-conversions.html

Otherwise, it might just be too soon to see if your bid adjustments have helped. Mobile clicks are typically much cheaper than desktop, so I would think that decreasing CPCs and implementing a high modifier should weed out most of your desktop traffic, however, towing is likely pretty competitive on mobile devices so that might not be the case.

With your mobile call extensions, have you disabled the destination URL? That way you can ensure that their only option is to call. It sounds like you have already done this but I just want to be sure. It is a setting within the call extension that can be selected but is not selected by default.

Hope this helps!
Amy Bishop, Clix Marketing