AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Call-only campaign not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There was a "regular" campaign that produced expected amount of clicks on both desktop and mobile (about 50/50).

Then it was kinda "splitted" into 2 campaigns, i.e. new call-only campaign was created (using SAME bids as old campaign), and old campaign's bids were adjusted not to be visible on mobile.

Problem is, new call-inly campaign is not working at all. No impressions, nothing. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Call-only campaign not working

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Dmitry,

Are the ads approved? You'll have to get the phone number verified, by adding a verification URL that contains the phone number. Do check and update here.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
In addition to Sumanth's comments, you should also check the ad positions - remember that only 2 ads appear at the top of mobile search results - so if your ad appears lower down then the chances of them being seen is poor...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Everything is in place, all verified, all is approved.
Problem is - why "regular" ads from old campaign had a bunch of impressions/clicks and new call-only campaign none (keywords, ad copies, bids are the same).

Also, if you hover over ANY keyword, pop-up shows " Showing ads right now? NO. Call only ad cannot show on platforms without calling capability." That is weird, call-only campaign suppose to target only full-browser mobile phones, i.e. devices with calling capabilities.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Dmitry,

If you're sure everything is right I'd suggest contacting the support team, as it requires access to the campaign to troubleshoot this. Contact info here. Also, please update this thread, with the solution, for the benefit of other community members.

Cheers,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dmitry P
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, so this Call-only campaign started to work when I doubled the bids. I.e. my conclusion is that generally call-only ads' CTR across entire Google Search network is twice as low in comparison with similar regular text ads running on mobile. Too bad...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
There is an important consideration to make here...

An example.... one of my clients has third party call tracking to monitor phone calls. Calls are an important conversion - and we track these conversions carefully. In this particular case my client is happy to pay $100 per conversion - so in theory, I could bid up to $100 for a click to call ad, since each click is what we consider to be a conversion in the rest of the campaigns.

It is important to put these things into perspective and recognise what a "click" here represents.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well, for example if regular text ads running on mobile costed me say ~$1.00 per click and landing page conversion was ~20%,, i.e. generating quality phone call costed me $5.00.
Now it costs me $2.50 per click, and given that majority of people clicking on ads expect to be sent to a web-page of some kind and instead are prompted with a "confirm/cancel call" dialog, I would be lucky if one out of two will actually make a phone call. So same $5.00 is my cost per call.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, if they click on your Call Only ad they still may not take the next step to call you. But you still pay for the click. Aside from the lack of value on those that are not sure if they want to call, it opens the door to abuse. People can click on call only ads to achieve what they want without ever going to your site or talking to you on the phone.

IMO Google should NOT be charging advertisers for clicks that provide no value, and only charge when the user takes the next step and makes a call.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

In principle, I would agree that Google should only charge when the call is realised - but in reality, there is no way for Google to know that. Once the click to call button is clicked the phone opens up the phone app with the number pre-dialled - Google cannot know whether the call button is then clicked as there is no way for this to be tracked.