AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Call Extensions in Mexico

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - I'm trying to create a call extension for ads that have a location targeting set to Mexico only. The number I would like to display is a US toll free number. On our .com.mx website, we display this number as 001-800-XXX-XXXX. Now, when I enter this exact number format in the call extension, I get an error, stating "invalid phone number for region". To be a little clearer, I've tried creating the new phone number as both United States and Mexico - I get the same error.

Can anyone help me to figure out what the acceptable format would be? Should I use 01-800-XXX-XXXX? 

Thanks!

Candice

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Call Extensions in Mexico

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Candace,

For a US number, I would leave the country code off and show 800-XXX-XXXX.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the advice. Interestingly enough, using 800-XXX-XXXX number does work when I specify 'Mexico' as the phone settings, rather than United States. Will it matter that this is a US number? I'm assuming no, and am going to try this out. 

Thanks again!

Candice

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Candace,

I was really just stabbing at a solution for you. For people physically located in Mexico, they will need to dial 001.

I did a little searching and found this. It might help:

Dialing U.S. 800 Numbers from Mexico (800, 888, 877, 866)

Mexico has its own series of 800 numbers, so in order to make dialing U.S. numbers possible, they came up with a simple system.  Simple - once you know the secret...

To dial a United States 800 number FROM Mexico, replace the 800 prefix with the prefix shown below:
 Ø 800 numbers Dial 001-880-then the number
 Ø 866 numbers Dial 001-883-then the number
 Ø 877 numbers Dial 001-882-then the number
 Ø 888 numbers Dial 001-881-then the number

For example, to call Wells Fargo's customer service FROM Mexico we change the number
from 1-800-869-3557 to 001-880-869-3557 

and to dial Blue Shield FROM Mexico we change the number
from 1-888-568-3560 to 001-881-568-3560.

I have no idea how to find out if this is what you need to do. You might want to contact support about this. Click on the "Contact AdWords" button at the top right of this page.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords