AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Call Extensions: Billing and Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We’ve been seeing a lot of duplicate calls using call extensions.  Some duplicate calls arrive within about 15 seconds of the first call, and some a few minutes.  How does Google track and bill for duplicate calls?

On most smartphones, there is an intermediate screen after the user clicks the call extension that confirms the user wants to place a call.  Does Google count the click on the call extension, or the actual execution of the phone call?

How is a conversion defined with call extensions?  I’ve set up conversion tracking through Google Analytics before, so I’m familiar with the process.  But, in this case, it seems that a conversion would equal a phone call.  Is this true?  Is there a better way to track conversions to eliminate those who may drop-off in the process of clicking the call extension button to the beginning of a conversation with our sales rep?

Thanks for your help,

A

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Call Extensions: Billing and Conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If you are using the enhanced extensions then you can setup conversion tracking for phone calls. You can also set a min duration for conversions i.e. count calls over 60 seconds. Navigate to your extensions tab. You will need to be working with enhanced extensions and try the edit (pencil) and see the options. One is for conversions.

Let us know if this is what you are looking for.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Oh...Kim...one of our founding members...great seeing you...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Kim, I appreciate the helpful information. 

Any thoughts on the duplicate call issue?  Could this be a techincal problem or is it just consumer behavior?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I have seen dup calls in client accounts. Some seem benign and I have seen others where there are dozens of calls from the same number and they are within seconds of each other and last for the exact same duration. It is very strange and when I called Google on it I was told that these could possibly be some type of automated call. Unfortunately that was all I was able to get from Google on it and luckily the issues did stop and upon analysis I did find that there were invalid clicks that were caught which coincided with the calls so my client was not paying for these calls. I will continue to monitor their account and all my clients who use call extensions to make sure the issue does not happen again. Maybe not exactly what you were looking for but hope it helps a little bit.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'