AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Call Button Prewiev

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello AdWords PPL,

Soon I wanna have my first ad. with phone extension. I have set it now, but it will runs next month. 

I want to see my ads with phone extension. I tried to use Ad Previewer,  but I guess it show me only ads which are running. 

Is it possible to see my ads before they are live, including phone extension?

Will this setting bellow prevent my ad showing in computers?
 Show the following links :
  • Both my website and the phone number
  • Just the phone number (I choosed)

Thank you,

Lukas

Find me at 
Google+ l LinkedIn

- Lukas
1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lukas Melichar
September 2015

Re: Call Button Prewiev

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The question is a little unclear. I am interpreting like this "How would I set normal ads that right now have no restrictions to..." what maybe split them in 2 Campaigns ?

1)  one Campaign could contain the Ads set at mobile with

a) the click to call option to appear number near ad text, and to cause a click on the Ad to dial the number

b) the bid very low for desktop and +300 for mobile 

c) check box for "mobile" checked in every ad but one ( as explained above)

2) the other Campaign could contain Ads aimed at desktops

a) with no call extension activated in order to have no phone number near the Ad text, and

b) with a mobile bid adjustment of -100 % in order to make sure that desktop Ads receive no traffic from mobiles ?

Is this what you want to achieve ? I think the best way is to create 2 campaigns, one for mobile and one for desktops.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Lukas -

You can create call extensions down to the ad group level and designate whether or not it is a "mobile" or "Desktop and Tablets" to coincide with your ads. This way, you can use varying settings without having to create new campaigns. That seems like an awful lot of extra work to me.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) No a preview is not possible as explained here :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/How-to-check-ad-preview-with-call-extension/m-p/1...

2) That option only selects which part of the Ad will be clickable when the Ad is shown on mobile , as explained here :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Use-AdWords-Call-Extensions-to-Help-Your-Customer...

Quote :

The next option you see governs what parts of your ad will be clickable when the call extension is showing on mobile devices. If you'd like only your phone number to be clickable (but not your ad headline, for example) when your ad shows on mobile devices, select"Show only the link to my phone number."

3) You might want to learn how to build an Ad Group targeted especially at mobiles, that seems to be your aim. If this is your purpose for mobile Ads , the setup is to set a very low default bid ( that will be used for desktop+tablet) and a bid adjustment of +200 or +300% for mobiles. This gives priority to clicks from mobiles. Also all ads except 1 must have a check box for "Mobile preffered Ad". 

This setup is further explained here :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Mobile-only-settings-for-Enhanced-Campaign/m-p/13...

select-mobile-preffered-Ad.png

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

how would you set  already existing text ads. for PCs, Tablets and Phones?

• call button for mobiles and tablets.
  • no call button for PC
  • no pohone nuber (mobile, tablet and PC)

Thank you

Find me at Google+ l LinkedIn

- Lukas
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The question is a little unclear. I am interpreting like this "How would I set normal ads that right now have no restrictions to..." what maybe split them in 2 Campaigns ?

1)  one Campaign could contain the Ads set at mobile with

a) the click to call option to appear number near ad text, and to cause a click on the Ad to dial the number

b) the bid very low for desktop and +300 for mobile 

c) check box for "mobile" checked in every ad but one ( as explained above)

2) the other Campaign could contain Ads aimed at desktops

a) with no call extension activated in order to have no phone number near the Ad text, and

b) with a mobile bid adjustment of -100 % in order to make sure that desktop Ads receive no traffic from mobiles ?

Is this what you want to achieve ? I think the best way is to create 2 campaigns, one for mobile and one for desktops.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Lukas -

You can create call extensions down to the ad group level and designate whether or not it is a "mobile" or "Desktop and Tablets" to coincide with your ads. This way, you can use varying settings without having to create new campaigns. That seems like an awful lot of extra work to me.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Just to motivate my suggestion :

1) The change can be done with the AdWords editor fast, with a copy-paste in a new campaign.

2) I use separate campaigns because mobile ads have a different smaller budget than normal desktop ads. I do not want for mobile ads to cannibalize the budget of desktop ads and to end up with a "limited by budget" warning because who knows how many more impressions mobiles can generate.

Yes the settings can be done at ad group level too.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,

You don't have to justify anything. You're welcome to your own personal tactics, strategies and implementations.

That's all fine and well - But, I don't recall seeing the OP suggest he had concerns about budget or cannibalization by mobile ads. If you consider the potential size of an account and management effort needed, this may not be the best plan. In a simple and small account, the impact may be minimal but at the end of the day, duplicate campaigns require double the work (for the most part). I always look for the most efficient use of my time.

-Tommy

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

True, in this case my assumption was caused by an old conversation he opened here complaining that normal campaigns bring low conversions because of targeting options  : link

He said that in his country there is only country-wide targeting, so adding mobiles in the same campaign automatically targets a very wide audience and has the potential of consuming a large budget.

What would be your advice about his situation, wouldn't it be worth setting up a new campaign ?

As you instructed before, I should express my assumptions first, I apologize for not doing so.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hey,

I'm not getting the same impression as you, but that's fine.

If mobile spending is a concern, you bid it down...

Let's not hijack this thread any further - the other issues were discussed in the other thread.

-Tommy