AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

CTR Percentage on Travel Websites

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there friends,

I'm glad to join this community. I have been working on creating ads and keywords to a new travel website based in Costa Rica.

During the last three days (Let me give you the exact number), I have gotten 92,879 impressions and 622 clicks on 6 different campaigns, bringing the CTR percentage to 0.67%. My average position is 1.8

My question is: Is that normal for a travel website that is relatively new? The campaigns I'm running are related to hotels and tours. I'm using a lot of phrase and exact matches.

I've had some campaigns that have done much better (8-10%) than these, but they were about Trip Packages.

Please let me know what kind of information should I add to this thread to make my point a bit clearer :-)

Thanks and regards!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: CTR Percentage on Travel Websites

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi xrbm14, 

Welcome to the community.

With regards to your question, I'd first like to start with understanding your campaign structure. Structuring your keywords in a way that every individual keyword theme can have a unique ad can definitely help attain a good CTR for your ads. Are the numbers that you have quoted above for just Search or they include Display as well?

How have you grouped your campaigns, are any of them targeting multiple geographies in one campaign itself? If that is the case, then that might skew the overall numbers since one location might be performing poorly while the others might be working well for you.

I've worked in the travel domain, but in India, and our campaigns tend to have a CTR  of about 2% for Search campaigns, but the geography is completely different, so directly comparing this would not be ideal.

Targeting keywords in phrase and exact helps keep the queries relevant, but how generic are these keywords? If you are bidding on 'hotels in costa rica' in exact and that is your main impression gathering keyword, then the CTR would be lower, since people searching for hotels in costa rica might not be looking to travel to where your hotel is located. (Unless you are advertising for a chain of hotels that have a good presence in Costa Rica). I would highly recommend adding location + type of hotel related keywords to your account if you haven't already.

To put things into perspective, my recommendation would be to start with the following:

• Check if your campaigns are targeting multiple countries and split them into dedicated campaigns, atleast for the top countries that you wish to target
  • Ensure that you're only seeing statistics for the search network and not search + display as the CTR for display will definitely skew the numbers
  • Include local keywords with regards to the location of the hotels you are targeting
  • Test broad and BMM keywords if you're currently only targeting generic phrase and exact terms
  • Do an ad audit to check if your ads are highligting all your USPs and whether the ad and keyword mapping is good
  • Do a competitor analysis (by simply searching for your keywords on Google and seeing whose showing up with you) and see if they're running any offers that might prompt users to click their ads as opposed to yours
  • Check Google Analytics to check which keywords are driving traffic to the website on the whole and whether you have those in the PPC campaigns. 

This should get you on your way to identifying the things you can do to improve the performance of your campaigns.

Will add to this if I can identify more steps that might help you Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Nikhil 

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey XRBM14,

Its hard answering without seeing your campaign - but it seems to me like the CTR is lower than it should be, you can:

• Make sure the campaign is running only on the search network

• Add negative keywords - try click on Keyword Details >> "All" in order to track some negative keywords

• Try opening some "long tail AdGroups" which are based on long tail keywords - don't forget to insert these keywords into the ads copy (title & body)

• Pause keywords / AdGroups with low CTR

• Try using exact match & phrase match

• Most importantly - split your campaign to many AdGroups - and always try A/B testing your ads to find the better ads

I would also recommend you to read this free eBook -  "Adwords step by step - A guide to building successful AdWords campaigns

Good Luck,

Asaf

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi xrbm14, 

Welcome to the community.

With regards to your question, I'd first like to start with understanding your campaign structure. Structuring your keywords in a way that every individual keyword theme can have a unique ad can definitely help attain a good CTR for your ads. Are the numbers that you have quoted above for just Search or they include Display as well?

How have you grouped your campaigns, are any of them targeting multiple geographies in one campaign itself? If that is the case, then that might skew the overall numbers since one location might be performing poorly while the others might be working well for you.

I've worked in the travel domain, but in India, and our campaigns tend to have a CTR  of about 2% for Search campaigns, but the geography is completely different, so directly comparing this would not be ideal.

Targeting keywords in phrase and exact helps keep the queries relevant, but how generic are these keywords? If you are bidding on 'hotels in costa rica' in exact and that is your main impression gathering keyword, then the CTR would be lower, since people searching for hotels in costa rica might not be looking to travel to where your hotel is located. (Unless you are advertising for a chain of hotels that have a good presence in Costa Rica). I would highly recommend adding location + type of hotel related keywords to your account if you haven't already.

To put things into perspective, my recommendation would be to start with the following:

• Check if your campaigns are targeting multiple countries and split them into dedicated campaigns, atleast for the top countries that you wish to target
  • Ensure that you're only seeing statistics for the search network and not search + display as the CTR for display will definitely skew the numbers
  • Include local keywords with regards to the location of the hotels you are targeting
  • Test broad and BMM keywords if you're currently only targeting generic phrase and exact terms
  • Do an ad audit to check if your ads are highligting all your USPs and whether the ad and keyword mapping is good
  • Do a competitor analysis (by simply searching for your keywords on Google and seeing whose showing up with you) and see if they're running any offers that might prompt users to click their ads as opposed to yours
  • Check Google Analytics to check which keywords are driving traffic to the website on the whole and whether you have those in the PPC campaigns. 

This should get you on your way to identifying the things you can do to improve the performance of your campaigns.

Will add to this if I can identify more steps that might help you Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Nikhil 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

In Addition to Asaf's and Nikhil's Great Advice.

Nikhil Says:

Do a competitor analysis (by simply searching for your keywords on Google and seeing whose showing up with you) and see if they're running any offers that might prompt users to click their ads as opposed to yours

I would say instead of searching your keywords on Google Search, Take advantage of Adpreview Tool under Tool & analysis tab to check competitors. Please do remember to select settings for Adpreview Tool such as Locations, Domain, Device etc.

[Edited] Please let us know above stats is for Search Network, Display Network or both. 

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

Thank you very much! I am extremely happy to see the quality of the answers you have given me. Let me reply to you one by one Smiley Happy

Asaf:

- Make sure the campaign is running only on the search network

A/ Yes, I have Display Network turned off.

- Add negative keywords - try click on Keyword Details >> "All" in order to track some negative keywords
A/ Indeed I have entered some negative keywords there, especially country names and other travel-related terms that do not fit in our website.

- Try opening some "long tail AdGroups" which are based on long tail keywords - don't forget to insert these keywords into the ads copy (title & body)
A/ I'm not sure what this is. Could you please point to me where can I find more information about this? :-)

- Pause keywords / AdGroups with low CTR

A/ I have already done so, but I'll keep pausing more.

- Try using exact match & phrase match

A/ Yes, I'm using these as much as I can. Probably 95% of my keywords are exact or phrase matches.

- Most importantly - split your campaign to many AdGroups - and always try A/B testing your ads to find the better ads

A/ I've just implemented this a couple of days ago, but I'll give it more time to see if it does improve.

Thanks Asaf!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nikhil,

Again, thank you very much for the answer.

The numbers I quoted are for Search only, I don't use Display Network. Since we sell hotel reservations and tours, I have grouped my campaigns as follows:

Campaign Name: City (Tamarindo for example)

Ad Groups: Hotels, Hostels, B&Bs, Activities (I think I can narrow this one even more)

Let me show you some examples of what I have for hotels in Tamarindo:

"tamarindo costa rica hotels"
resorts tamarindo costa rica
best hotel tamarindo costa rica
tamarindo hotels
tamarindo beach hotels
resorts tamarindo
best hotel tamarindo
"tamarindo hotels"
hotels in tamarindo
[hotel in tamarindo]
hotels near tamarindo costa rica
hotels near tamarindo

Are these too broad?

Now, your advices:

- Check if your campaigns are targeting multiple countries and split them into dedicated campaigns, atleast for the top countries that you wish to target

A/ Please refer to the current structure I'm using above Smiley Happy

- Ensure that you're only seeing statistics for the search network and not search + display as the CTR for display will definitely skew the numbers

A/ Yep, Search Network only.

- Include local keywords with regards to the location of the hotels you are targeting

A/ Yes, since I group them by city, I include the location in the keywords.

- Test broad and BMM keywords if you're currently only targeting generic phrase and exact terms

A/ Alright, I will try with broad to see what happens :-)

- Do an ad audit to check if your ads are highligting all your USPs and whether the ad and keyword mapping is good

A/ I have no idea of how to do this Smiley Tongue Could you please let me know where I could find this info?

- Do a competitor analysis (by simply searching for your keywords on Google and seeing whose showing up with you) and see if they're running any offers that might prompt users to click their ads as opposed to yours

A/ I have done this and the quality of their ads is similar to mine. Perhaps I need to work more on the content. But I see no reason why visitors prefer clicking their ads than mine, so I am definitely missing something.

- Check Google Analytics to check which keywords are driving traffic to the website on the whole and whether you have those in the PPC campaigns.

A/ I work closely with Analytics and have added both positive and negative keywords, so I'm definitely putting more emphasis on this.

Thank you very much Nikhil, great post!

Cheers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Neha,

I had totally missed that Tool, I will go ahead and play around with it to see if I can get better results. As for the stats, they are Search Network only.

Thanks and regards! Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
That ctr is really less on search network. You need to test different variations of adcopies to analyze what works for you. Are you using sitelinks? If not please do add sitelinks .. This will help in boost ctr for your campaign.

Also pause keywords, adcopies with larger number of impressions and zero click.

Dig into search query and find out queries recived larger number of imprrssions with zero click and add them as negative in their respective adgroups. If they are relevant queries you can test them in neiw adgoups with high bid. Befor making desicsion of adding queries as negatives: consider 1) negative keyword match type 2) query shouldnot be already present in adroup as a
positive keywords.

Hope this helps you in someway!

Thanks
Neha Gupta - please ignore typos using cell phone.
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello guys,

Just to give you an update, I have started to use Ad Extensions, much more specific keywords, sitelinks, etc and now I have a 12.76% CTR :-) !!!!

Now I need to work on the Conversions, I will keep you posted. I thank you all of you enormously.

Cheers and have a happy weekend :-)

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This 2102 thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question. 

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.