AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

[CRITICAL] Cannot load editor due to internal error - call extns.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

So, recently, I tried to create a Call Extension and it immediately spewed this error:

Call Extensions error

http://postimg.org/image/zbh7zeo99/

I got in touch with Adwords Support. And they've been attempting to "fix" it for over a month. I'm going crazy. Their explanation is that this error is due to the usage of Adwords Editor, and the support lady said this:

The account has been reviewed and the issue is coming from the Adwords editor. There is a problem with the way the call extension feeds are pulling up the names are conflicting with the automatic names that are given. The suggestion is to rename the feeds and this should clear up errors you are receiving.  This article should help with this set up.

As you can see, that made no sense whatsoever and she even attempted to "walk" me through this over the phone and I think she hung up on me. So here's my response:

Sorry the call dropped.
But the information you provided is VERY vague and it leaves me with no real solution. Saying that adwords editor "is a different product and so there is no way to walk through" cannot mean that this problem is mine to solve. At the end of the day Adwords is a Google product, and Adwords Editor is a sub product of Google Adwords and so there's no way that Google doesn't talk to the other product developers and instead ask the customer to fix their own problems.

Your email below is also assuming that I am somewhat of a developer and if it has something to do with "change feeds" or whatever, I am very willing to try anything provided I have some steps that I can follow. Historically, any problem I've had with Google Adwords, I've always been provided a walk-through to fix the issue or given the steps over email. 

If you cannot help me fix this the way it should be, then please forward this ticket to your supervisor and let them have my contact info so I can be contacted and this issue is fixed. 

More importantly, I vaguely remember this problem happening _before_ I found the godsend tool of Adwords Editor. So saying that's the problem is almost too weird for me.

It's been a VERY long time and I'm losing my client to a competing agency because they show more calls and I have zero. I need the call extensions up asap.

So while I wait for the behemoth of Google to take it's own **bleep** sweet time to respond to such an issue, is there anything one of you gurus might be able to suggest?

Thanks so much!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Re: [CRITICAL] Cannot load editor due to internal error - call extns.

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
AdWords Editor has nothing to do with it; for one thing, it doesn't support call extensions.

Here's what happens. The web interface is trying to create a feed in which to keep your call extensions, under a hard-coded name of "Main call feed", the first time you start creating a call extension. Somehow, a user-defined feed with this name already exists in your account, which causes the UI to fail with this obscure error message.

We are not quite sure how these feeds get created; to the best of our knowledge, that can only happen via AdWords API or scripting.

We are aware of this problem, a fix is being worked on. Meanwhile, here's a possible workaround:

1. Switch AdWords web interface to a different language: click on the gear icon at the top right corner, then Account Settings > Preferences > Language and number preferences > Edit. Pick any language other than English. It would help if you choose a language you know at least a little - you'll have to find your way around the interface with all text translated into that language.

2. Go back to Campaigns tab, select any campaign and create a call extension in it - it should work this time.

3. Repeat the procedure in #1 to switch back to English. You should be able to edit your extensions normally at this point.

In case you are curious, this works because the text "Main call feed" is actually translated to the display language - the system uses a different name when that language is not English, which avoids the conflict with the existing feed. Once the system feed is created (under whatever name), it will continue to be used from that point on, even if you switch languages.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
AdWords Editor has nothing to do with it; for one thing, it doesn't support call extensions.

Here's what happens. The web interface is trying to create a feed in which to keep your call extensions, under a hard-coded name of "Main call feed", the first time you start creating a call extension. Somehow, a user-defined feed with this name already exists in your account, which causes the UI to fail with this obscure error message.

We are not quite sure how these feeds get created; to the best of our knowledge, that can only happen via AdWords API or scripting.

We are aware of this problem, a fix is being worked on. Meanwhile, here's a possible workaround:

1. Switch AdWords web interface to a different language: click on the gear icon at the top right corner, then Account Settings > Preferences > Language and number preferences > Edit. Pick any language other than English. It would help if you choose a language you know at least a little - you'll have to find your way around the interface with all text translated into that language.

2. Go back to Campaigns tab, select any campaign and create a call extension in it - it should work this time.

3. Repeat the procedure in #1 to switch back to English. You should be able to edit your extensions normally at this point.

In case you are curious, this works because the text "Main call feed" is actually translated to the display language - the system uses a different name when that language is not English, which avoids the conflict with the existing feed. Once the system feed is created (under whatever name), it will continue to be used from that point on, even if you switch languages.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Wow, seriously!
Thanks SO MUCH Igor! This worked!!!

I knew this had nothing to do with Editor because, like I said, I started using it just recently! Haha!
This opens a very small, side question. I create two ads, one is the regular, and then I click "Copy and edit" and check mark the "Mobile" so the ad is created for Mobile devices.

During the call extension creation via French, I saw the same option "Check for Mobile". I didn't. Will I need to create the same call extension again and this time select it for mobile? Or should I have selected mobile the first time around?

(For future guys looking up this error, remember to switch to a language that actually supports call extensions)

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
You can edit an existing extension and check "Mobile" check box. Or you can Copy and Edit (click the drop-down arrow next to the pencil icon), and enable "Mobile" check box in the copy.

Whether you *should* do any of this, I can't really say. Do you want different phone numbers shown to desktop and mobile users?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Nope, no different numbers. Just wondered if it helps to create mobile-optimized call extensions just the same way as mobile optimized ads. (I always create two versions of the ads).

I just want to make sure that mobile call extensions are presented as buttons. Smiley Happy

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Well, why do you create two versions of the ad? Do they have different text, or point to different URLs? Do you want to track stats separately for desktop and mobile users? If none of the above, then I'm not sure what the purpose would be.

They are called "mobile-optimized" not because Google somehow optimizes them for mobile, but because the advertiser does (e.g. by having one ad point to the desktop version of her site and the other to the mobile version).

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Very interesting! I always thought that Google does something special for the mobile ads. But yes, the only benefit I see is tracking stats.

Pointing is taken care of my end where the appropriate redirects are in place.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Igor,

Unfortunately, I'm unable to link this as a conversion.
I created a call conversion set as "Calls from call extension", and came back to the call extensions page to edit these phone numbers to associate them with the conversion but I see it nowhere.

According to this link: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722054?hl=en#calls_from_ads I am supposed to see it (Step 12 under "Creating a new conversion action for calls from ads")

Is this due to the language problem?

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee
In the "Edit phone number" dialog, select "Show my ad with: A Google forwarding phone number" (as opposed to "My own phone number"). Then expand Advanced section at the bottom, check "Report phone call conversions" checkbox, and select the conversion action from the drop-down.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I don't see the option for Google forwarding any more :/
Screenshot: http://postimg.org/image/i513jogzz/