AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

CPC is cost per 'click'. Right? it's not CP'View'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have come close to completing an initial trial campaign to see how AdWorks performs and to gauge whether or not I should expand my advertising programme with them. When I initiated the account and set up the campaign I selected 'Manual' payment and authorised a trial run Au$50.00 charge on my bank card. I was shown an overview of what I could expect for that outlay over the 7 days campaign period - around 140,000 impressions, 1300 - 3500 views, and a cost ranging from Au$0.01-0.05 per 'click' (CPC). My campaign has 2 days before it is finished and I was informed by email that my advert had received 790, odd, 'views' and 170, odd, 'clicks'.. I have been charged so far at a rate of Au$0 .06 per 'view'.. Also when I checked the overview I saw that the billing was set at 'Automatic' not the 'Manual' I had entered in the submission process and that the account would be charged after Au$100.00 had been used, and I was unable to change it back to manual - that option, though visible, was not enabled. I also checked my bank account and discovered that the Au$50.00 I have provided authorisation for had not been withdrawn, instead there was a Au$2.00 charge that I know nothing about.. The number of impressions they gave me was total 9,000(+ a few) which is far removed from the 140,000 I was expecting.. Is this how Google encourages its new customers to become loyal and long term participants in its AdWords programme? I am far from impressed to date and emails I have sent to the admin have been to date ignored. Any advise would be appreciated. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: CPC is cost per 'click'. Right? it's not CP'View'

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

CPC is Cost per Click - which is the cost each time a person clicked on your ad

The other pricing options are 

CPM - which is cost per thousand views - this is when a thousand people had the opportunity to see the ad - even though they a) may or may not have clicked on it and b) may not actually have seen it since the ad was displayed below the fold and the visitor didn't scroll down....

CPA - a more advanced bidding option that only becomes available once there has been enough traffic for Google to determine a Cost per Acquisition (or conversion).

Google does indeed make guesstimates as to how much traffic you might expect and how much it might cost - sometimes they are spot on - sometimes they are way off. The proof of the pudding, as the saying goes, is in the eating, and you are starting to get useful visitor data that will help you determine the best way forward for your account.

You (or someone you employ) need to rely upon your own management of the account to ensure that you get a return on investment that makes economic sense for your organisation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Steve,

Thanks for responding. What you have explained may well be the case, however, the simple fact is that I was told one thing before I submitted my order and an entirely different set of variables pops up after the campaign began. I was told that for the Au$50.00 advance payment I could expect 140,000 impressions, but to date the number quoted in the account analysis is a bit over 11,000 for the same period.. That's some massive discrepancy, wouldn't you say? Also I was told that the cost would be between $00.01-.05 per 'click' I am being charged $00.06 per 'view'. That's also some major discrepancy.. That the budget was set at $7.14 per day for just 7 days (as a test run) with manual payments has also been totally ignored and the campaign continues with an 'Automatic' billing and with the daily costs far exceeding that budget. Not only has to campaign not been terminated as it was supposed to have after 7 days, it is continuing and the bill is continuing to increase well beyond the limit I had imposed before it started. So what do we do about that?

I have sent two email to the 'So Called' help section asking for clarification, but they too have been ignored to date. And, not that it is of any importance from a financial aspect, but certainly is from a purely business aspect, the unexplained $2.00 charge against my bank card has somehow mysteriously disappeared too. So what's Google think they are doing? They have falsely enticed me to become involved in their programmes and are now evidently intent on ripping off as much as they can without my authority before I cancel the campaign and the account. They seem to consider they can do anything that they want to do, regardless of what the customer has asked for. Your further advice would be appreciated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Got it sorted out thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Glad to hear it... what kind of traffic levels are you now getting?