AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

CPA bids using Conversion Optimizer going crazy!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I have been using CPA bidding for a very long time. Till last night everything was all good, I was paying about 3 cents per click on all my campaigns. This morning I realized that Adwords started bidding up to 40 cents instead of the regular 3 cents!! It made me spend a bunch of money for nothing for the last 18 hours! My cost per conversion has been about $28 for the last months not to say years till yesterday when it went up to $200 !! It was the same for today till I switched back to ECPC to stop the bleeding!

Tech support told me all was ok on their side since I was the only one reporting this issue, I think I was simply the first... Support told me that they could see the surge I was having but that was probably due to the fact my conversions were not constant enough. They have been the same for months! Anyway I saw it was a lost of time to argue and decided to come here.

I was hoping I could find more people with this issue here???

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: CPA bids using Conversion Optimizer going crazy!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nick,

Something doesn't seem right to me here.  Are you saying that previously, you were averaging 3 cents CPC and your CPA/Conversion Cost was averaging $28.  To me and I'm no math wizard, isn't that close to 1000 clicks per conversion?  I would start there honestly. 

What do your previous conversion rates look like and what did you have set for bidding Max or Target CPA and where was it at?

Also, one last thing, how many conversions are you registering in an average month?

I'm not sure I can solve anything here but perhaps help you make some adjustments that could make the account a little more efficient.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for helping!

Lets use numbers from my main campaign from May 1st to May 14th ( before yesterday when the problem started )

64,302 clicks,

avg cpc = 0.03,

total cost $1910,

conversions: 64

cost per conversion: $29.86

I had a MAX CPA set to $25 ( always had to set it a bit lower to get the average I actually wanted ).

You are right it is 1000 clicks per conversion but of course I make me more than $30 per conv... It is a sale basically.

Now let's not check at yesterday since it is mixed with before the bug and after the bug.

Today, here's what I got with bug in full action:

2972 clicks ( about what I usually get at this time of the day )

Avg CPC: 0.42 ( why gg suddenlty decided 0.42 would make sense while it has bid 0.03 for the past year or so?? )

conversions: 7

Cost per conversion: $177 !!!

One important detail: This campaign runs both search and display network ( I know I should separate them ). The problem is ONLY with the search network. the numbers related to the display network are just fine!

Any idea?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Nick,

Nothing is jumping out at my as "the reason" at this point.  I'm going to have to ponder this a bit...

My apologies.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’