AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

CPA bidding and automated rules

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Quick question:

I sat up some automated rules for all my keywords in the account (reach first page min bid, reduce bids if CPA>XX, increase bids if CPA <XX and so on...).

If I set up CPA bidding in some campaign, is there a risk that the automated rules interfere with the algorithm of CPA bidding ? I know that Adscheduling does not work with CPA bidding. Same with automated rules ?

Thanks for your answer.

Amaury

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: CPA bidding and automated rules

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi aguenant74, 

You can use CPA bidding and automated rules at the same time, there's no problem when using both at the same time. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok. So you mean that an automated rule will have no impact on a campaign opted in CPA bidding right ? I mean It will not change the bids, it is correct ?

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Just to clarify here, the automated rule (if it was related to bidding for example) would still have an effect on the CPA you had initially chose. The CPA and automated rule would work together, rather than independently of each other. 

A.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Amaury,

sorry for interrupting your post like this, could you please explain how did you set up automated rules form CPA bids?

I have read other threads on the topic, but I still don't get how to do it.

I have a particular campaign that uses CPA bidding (OK results - needs improvement in efficiency). Some groups have higher, some lower Cost / converted click. I wanted to increase CPA budget on better performing adgroups, but when I select that particular campaing, I don't get any results under preview although I should.

Settings I used:

1) Apply to: All (but deleted) adgroups in all campaigns
2) Campaign name = equals = My campaign name
3) Bidding strategy (is some of) = Target CPA (which I use for that campaign)
4) Price / converted click = my desired value
5) Number of converted clicks >= 1
6) Frequency: Monthly (using data from last month)

The problem is that under "preview results" I don't see any changes, and there are a number of groups that match these criteria and should appear under "preview" / be subject to change.

Thanks in advance,

Mate