AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

{=COUNTDOWN("2014/10/20 09:00:00")}

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

has anybody got this to work without doing a data upload?   Example

Scott's Kitchen Shop will be the first in the area to offer a much-anticipated new model of stand mixers, the ProWhip X. Scott's going to unveil the ProWhip X at his shop on the morning of 20 October, and wants to set up ads that count down to the event.

To do this, he doesn't need to create a separate data file. He can put the date of the event directly in the ad text he writes:

ProWhip Stand Mixers
www.example.com
Large Selection of ProWhip Mixers.
ProWhip X is launched in {=COUNTDOWN("2014/10/20 09:00:00")}

If someone sees his ad on 18 October (two days before the event), it would look like this:

ProWhip Stand Mixers
Large Selection of ProWhip Mixers.
ProWhip X is launched in 2 days
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rob b
September 2015

Re: {=COUNTDOWN("2014/10/20 09:00:00")}

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can't seem to get it working with the default example. I just see this error:

"Your ad can't show because its parameters couldn't be filled in. Make sure to check that you have matching values that fit within character limits."

Here's the line I'm experimenting with:

Ends in {=COUNTDOWN("2014/11/10 11:00:00")}.

Anyone else able to get it going without scripting and/or uploading params?

UPDATE - Looks like it was pending review. I waited a little while and it is now working.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Good question. The current version of AdWords Editor certainly doesn't seem to like it...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Rob,

A data file isn't required for the COUNTDOWN feature, it's simply a case of including it within the ad itself.

The format that you have included in your example is spot on.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi All

I am getting the same issue here, if I add the following as a description line:

ProWhip X is launched in {=COUNTDOWN("2014/10/20 09:00:00")}

In Adwords Editor(version 10.6) it counts all of the characters including those in the countdown part , so its showing the above line as 60 characters and will not let it be uploaded because of this.

I can add it successfully and get it to work using the online editor, but was wondering if there is a way round this for the offline editor - or a future release to fix this issue?

Steve
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rob b
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can't seem to get it working with the default example. I just see this error:

"Your ad can't show because its parameters couldn't be filled in. Make sure to check that you have matching values that fit within character limits."

Here's the line I'm experimenting with:

Ends in {=COUNTDOWN("2014/11/10 11:00:00")}.

Anyone else able to get it going without scripting and/or uploading params?

UPDATE - Looks like it was pending review. I waited a little while and it is now working.

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Thanks for the update Andy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Andy,

How long did you have to wait until it was showing again?

Thanks

Curtis

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi TWDG,

Since this thread started, there have been some great improvements in the setup process for countdown customizers. http://adwords.blogspot.com/2014/12/use-ad-customizers-to-gear-up-for-your.html

I have also noticed odd messages while using the ad customizers but once approved, the ads did start seeing impressions.

What type of trouble are you having?

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the fast response.

I have actually set it up via the new method in Adwords.

The ad itself is saying Approved however not showing due to:

Your ad can't show because its parameters couldn't be filled in. Make sure that you check that you have matching values that fit within character limits.

The code is correct and I'm not over the char limit. I've waited 1 day so far so was just wondering how long it would take or if anyone else is still seeing this issue.

Curtis

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi TWDG,

Can you share what you set up? Just the countdown part is fine.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’