AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Bulk upload of missing locations in AdWords Editor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all. 

I'm trying to make a bulk upload of the missing locations for various campaign. 

My upload sheet is as below:

CampaignFeed NameAssociation ruleLocationPlatform Targeting
SE - BERHI - Hilton Berlin: GenericGoogle My Business locationsCampaign-levelMohrenstraße 30All

but I kept getting error message saying it cannot upload read-only type etc. and I'm confused.

Please help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carol P
March 2017

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

"Location" is not a valid column for CSV import of location extensions. It's being ignored, and the input is interpreted as an attempt to create a new location extension with blank address. The columns you can specify are: Address line 1, Address line 2, City, Province, Postal code, Country code (some of them may be empty).

You can get a list of all available locations in a correct format this way. In Editor, go to Shared Library > Shared location extensions, then do Account > Export > Export current view (or select all, copy, and paste to Excel or similar). Now just add Campaign column and specify campaign names as necessary.

Also, drop Association Rule column. It's not for specifying the attachment level  (you do that simply by mentioning, or omitting, ad group name), but for "special" forms of location extensions. Valid values for this column are: <all locations>, <locations matching filter>, <location extensions disabled>. When attaching individual locations, leave the column blank, or omit it entirely.

Having said that, if your goal is to have all campaigns serve with all locations, you don't need to explicitly list every location at every campaign. Once you've associated your Google My Business account with your AdWords account (you do that in the online interface), all campaigns automatically start serving with all locations, unless specified otherwise; and by assigning individual locations to campaigns, you are specifying otherwise. If you simply delete everything under Ad extensions > Location extensions, all your campaigns will serve with all locations in your Google My Business account.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carol P
March 2017

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

"Location" is not a valid column for CSV import of location extensions. It's being ignored, and the input is interpreted as an attempt to create a new location extension with blank address. The columns you can specify are: Address line 1, Address line 2, City, Province, Postal code, Country code (some of them may be empty).

You can get a list of all available locations in a correct format this way. In Editor, go to Shared Library > Shared location extensions, then do Account > Export > Export current view (or select all, copy, and paste to Excel or similar). Now just add Campaign column and specify campaign names as necessary.

Also, drop Association Rule column. It's not for specifying the attachment level  (you do that simply by mentioning, or omitting, ad group name), but for "special" forms of location extensions. Valid values for this column are: <all locations>, <locations matching filter>, <location extensions disabled>. When attaching individual locations, leave the column blank, or omit it entirely.

Having said that, if your goal is to have all campaigns serve with all locations, you don't need to explicitly list every location at every campaign. Once you've associated your Google My Business account with your AdWords account (you do that in the online interface), all campaigns automatically start serving with all locations, unless specified otherwise; and by assigning individual locations to campaigns, you are specifying otherwise. If you simply delete everything under Ad extensions > Location extensions, all your campaigns will serve with all locations in your Google My Business account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I've tried what you said above and when uploading the location extensions via AdWords Editor, the previous errors are not there anymore; however, there's another error which is "Selected locations can't be combined with a special selection rule." Could you please elaborate on this? 

Summary of what I've done:

I downloaded all campaigns of an account to the Editor, go the Location extensions, Make multiple changes, then pasted the below (tested on 2 campaigns first). 

Feed Name

Address line 1

Address line 2

City

Province

Postal code

Country code

Campaign

Google My Business locations

Mohrenstraße 30

Berlin

DE

SE - BERHI - Hilton Berlin: Generic

Google My Business locations

Hardenbergstraße 28

Berlin

DE

SE - BERWA - Waldorf Astoria Berlin: Generic

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Apparently, those campaigns already contain one of "special rule" location extensions - one of <all locations>, <locations matching filter> or <location extensions disabled>. A given campaign or ad group can contain no location extensions at all, or exactly one "special rule" extension, or up to 20 individual locations; special rules and individual locations cannot be combined.

Decide which of these three options (no location extensions; one special rule; a bunch of individual locations) you want, then delete the "wrong" extensions (e.g. special rules if you decide to go with individual locations) and add the "right" ones.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you. This has solved my issue perfectly.

Have a great Sunday Smiley Happy