AdWords
1K members online now
1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Bulk upload locations

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm trying to upload about 400 US city locations with radius into locations.  I would much prefer to use city names instead of lat/long because trying to read the stats for the campaign it is not easy to correlate lat/long to a city without a decoder ring.

If I use the Radius targeting, I can enter each city by itself and it displays the city name.  However, bulk upload does not offer a radius option.

If I use Adwords Editor, it only understands lat/long such that "20 mi around houston, tx" converts to "20 mi around (29.760192, -95.369389)" when downloaded from Adwords and it really chokes if I try to enter city names in its bulk upload feature.

I have two campaigns I need to enter this data into.  Short of entering each city into the Radius Targeting field, anybody know how to bulk upload city/radius data?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bulk upload locations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David, I think what you want to do should be possible in Scripts, but I can't be 100% certain until I try and, to be honest, it might be a close race whether it'll be quicker to write the Script or just knuckle down and do it manually.

Scripts can add locations to a Campaign based upon either lat/long or a city name, including proximities (radii) so in theory if you could produce a spreadsheet that had a column each for city name, state, & radius you could use a script to step through those rows and create your locations.  I say in theory because the tricky part could be ensuring that AdWords: a) creates the target location with the city name (the whole point behind your question), b) creates the right target (Paris, Texas not Paris, France).

The API has a list of specific IDs associated with cities, see here:

https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/geotargeting

So, if you could add a column to that spreadsheet that used these IDs, that should solve the correct target issue, but I still don't know what the location will be called in the AWFE - I'd have to test (and, as mentioned, I'm still thinking it could take you as long to enter all those IDs as it would to create the locations manually).

The relevant script page on creating locations with proximities is here:

https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/reference/adwordsapp/adwordsapp_campaign#addLocat...

Not sure if this has helped or not.  I'm a bit busy today but if I get a chance I'll try and experiment to get answers to the question of what these created locations are called in the front end.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Jon,

Thanks for the great answer.  However, my programming skills aren't that good.

I did buckle down and enter all 367 cities.  Total pain.  Now the problem is I want to include the same locations in another campaign so it looks like I have to do the same thing over.

Google's interface for entering location data is so lame I'm embarrassed for them.

If anybody from Google is reading this, would be really nice to have a simple .csv input option for location data.  Also, did you guys ever notice that in the list of locations, you don't show the state, only the city and country like "Greenville, US".  Do you know how many cities in the US are named Greenville?  So lame.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi David, if I ever get a free moment I'll see if I can produce a script to do this, but it'll be long after you've slaved away entering the other Campaign targets, I fear.

Depending upon how urgent your need is, what I may be able to do more quickly is produce a script to copy locations - with their names, not lat/longs, - from one Campaign to another.

Jon

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everybody, I appologize for jumping in uninvited, but I bring helpful information.

1) The AdWords editor doesn't work well for this task for copying locations ?

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/71808?hl=en

http://www.google.com/intl/en/adwordseditor/

2) The Bulk Location Feature does not include states ?

include-state.png

3) The indicated link in that hoover info bubble found here :

https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/geotargeting

seems to also provide location with state

including-state.png

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi David,

If you have already taken the pain of adding the locations (with map co- ordinates) to one campaign, why don't you use the editor to copy the same location to the other campaigns. It's a very easy task now that the locations are these for you to use. It's just a matter of copy pasting the locations from one campaign to another.

Do give this a try and let me know if it helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Adrian B,

1)  (& Shashank) Yes, of course the Editor can copy locations, but if you do this with a named radius, the Editor turns the name into a lat/long.  If you read David's original post, you'll see this is the entire issue he's trying to avoid.

2)  I don't believe David was referring to the Bulk upload not listing States, he was referring to the list of Locations shown under the Locations tab of Settings, which, if you check, you'll see shows only a town name and a Country when showing proximity targets.

3)  I had already referred David to the geotargeting appendix in my original reply and noted that this didn't give much great advantage over manual entry.

David's issue is not with bulk locations, per se, it is rather that he needs to upload proximities in bulk and requires (understandably) for those proximities to be shown as a name (e.g. Greenville) rather than a lat/long, so they can be read and interpreted easily.  The bulk upload feature doesn't support proximities and the Editor converts all names into lat/longs upon upload.

Jon

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @davidlip I believe the Script below may work to copy the locations from one Campaign to another.

Create a new Script and then replace the default code with the script below.  Authorise and save the Script.

This is shown in steps 1,2 & 4 here:  https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/your-first-script  Just replace the code they show in step 3, with my code below.

Edit the two lines at the top to insert the name of your Campaign that has the locations added, and the name of the Campaign you want them copied to.  Make sure the names are exactly right, including capitalisation.  Then preview the script and check the Changes tab (down the bottom) and Logs to check that the proposed changes appear OK.

Only once you're absolutely certain it looks correct, hit "Run" and your locations should be copied.

Script begins immediately below my name.

Jon

function main() {

//enter your Campaign names here
var campToCopy = "CAMPAIGN NAME - LOCATION SOURCE";
var campDest = "CAMPAIGN NAME - LOCATION DESTINATION";

//get all the proximity targets in the source Campaign
var proxIter = AdWordsApp.targeting().targetedProximities()
.withCondition("CampaignName = '" + campToCopy + "'")
.get();

//select the destination Campaign
var campTarget = AdWordsApp.campaigns()
.withCondition("CampaignName = '" + campDest + "'")
.get()
.next();

//Output a header row to the log
Logger.log("Lat,Long,Town,State");

//iterate through the proximities, adding them to the destination Campaign
while(proxIter.hasNext()) {
var thisProx = proxIter.next();
campTarget.addProximity(thisProx);
//Log the locations (could be copied/pasted to Excel to check for "nulls")
Logger.log(thisProx.getLatitude() + "," + thisProx.getLongitude() + "," + thisProx.getAddress().getCityName() + "," + thisProx.getAddress().getProvinceName());
}
}

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@Jon_Gritton 

He was trying to avoid this in the first campaign. But since in the second campaign he just wants to copy paste the same locations, I don't see why the editor is not a solution here.

Basically only the editor will see the list of locations as proximities with coordinates, but after the copy paste the AdWords interface will see the correct location names and radiuses, will it not ?

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
@Adrian & Cobnut

Exactly what I was trying to say. Now that he has the locations added to a campaign and he needs to target the same location in a different campaign, he can just copy paste the locations in to the new campaign.

If nothing else, you can also copy the shell of the 1st campaign in editor and apply it to the 2nd campaign. This will copy all campaign settings from one to another without having to do any manual labor.

You need to go to the edit option then 'Copy Special', choose 'copy campaign shell' and then use paste special & 'paste campaign shell' to copy all of the campaign settings from one campaign to another.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"