AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Bulk location targeting: how to add country codes in bulk?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I am creating a number of campaigns in which I need to target 20 to 30 countries per campaign. I was hoping that by using the country codes as provided by the Adwords API location targeting document I could then quickly upload through the bulk locations tab but soon realized that this is only possible by state (CA, FLA, NY,...) after specifying 1st the country in the box above.

bulk_location_targeting_by_countries.png

Is there a way to upload country codes in bulk?

Like this list for example:

AUSTRALIA: AU
NEW ZEALAND: NZ
United States: US
VANUATU: VU
Papua New Guinea: PG
Samoa: WS
TONGA: TO
UNITED KINGDOM: GB
Samoa: WS
SOLOMON ISLANDS: SB
NAURU: NR
GERMANY: DE
RUSSIA: RU
INDIA: IN
LIBERIA: LR
CHINA: CN
COOK ISLANDS: CK
SWITZERLAND: CH
EGYPT: EG
IRAQ: IQ
TUVALU: TV
SINGAPORE: SG
FRANCE: FR
MALAYSIA: MY
NEW CALEDONIA: NC
ISRAEL: IL

It would seem a very intuitive approach. Am I missing something obvious in the interface? or is this something where Adwords API might help?

Appreciate any input.

Moises.

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Moises S
September 2015

Re: Bulk location targeting: how to add country codes in bulk?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Moises,

The AdWords Editor allows the use of Location codes in the CSV import feature, see here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/57747?hl=en-GB

Simply put you'd use the Location ID column heading and an id in the format ID:2826 (for the UK, for example).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Sarah P (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Moises,

Great question and hello from Google Headquarters! What Jon said above is correct. The most efficient way to upload 20 to 30 countries in each campaign is by using AdWords Editor! This help center article provides instructions that can follow in order to do this.

(A quick note: while you could also do this by using an API, if you aren't already using an API, it wouldn't make much sense to start using an API just to accomplish something like this.)

Sarah P.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Moises S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Moises,

The AdWords Editor allows the use of Location codes in the CSV import feature, see here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/57747?hl=en-GB

Simply put you'd use the Location ID column heading and an id in the format ID:2826 (for the UK, for example).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Moises;

Ignore the  "yellow box";

See  these instructions below :

Advanced: Targeting multiple locations in bulk

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043?hl=en

(>>"In the box, paste or type the names of up to 1000 locations that you'd like to target,")

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV after ignoring the 'yellow box' I tried using the text input box of the Adwords interface with several formats, country names, country codes, country Id's, id:n, and so on, and it keeps on giving me this message in red:

safe:    

"Invalid country code. Please refer to the <a href="http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/docs/appendix/countrycodes.html" target="_blank">list of valid country codes</a>."

It seems that the only way to go with what I want to do is with CSV upload through Adwords Editor as @Jon_Gritton is suggesting.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Moises S 

Yep;

Though I don't target more than one country per campaign (I  am a great fan of "tailored landing pages" -  I set a tailored  landing page per location) - I tried to add a few  targeted countries in one of my campaigns (using bulk upload): I got the same error as you did,.

I am escalating the case to Google.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Used the Adwords Editors interface for this and the functionality is very good, you can upload the locations by name not even needing to use the codes, then click verify. Still think it should be available in the web platform as well.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
"Still think it should be available in the web platform as well."
I agree
Let's also wait for Google to reply to the query I submitted.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Sarah P (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Moises,

Great question and hello from Google Headquarters! What Jon said above is correct. The most efficient way to upload 20 to 30 countries in each campaign is by using AdWords Editor! This help center article provides instructions that can follow in order to do this.

(A quick note: while you could also do this by using an API, if you aren't already using an API, it wouldn't make much sense to start using an API just to accomplish something like this.)

Sarah P.