AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Bulk import where the location is set as a radius around a town

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I need to create a large number of campaigns targeting specific UK towns, where the location setting would be a radius of 40 miles around each town. Given that I have a few hundreds towns / campaigns, I would like to import a spreadsheet in bulk. When exporting a campaign targeting location using a radius I can see that Google uses radius & coordinates instead of a specific location name, like this: (40mi:52.228485:-0.266069). However AdWords Editor does not allow me to use coordinates. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sonia

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sonia K
September 2015

Re: Bulk import where the location is set as a radius around a town

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Your best bet would be the Adwords API.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sonia K

The format (distance:latitude:longitude) doesn't work, the correct format for AdWords Editor is (distance:latitude:-longitude), with an hyphen between latitude and longitude. But unfortunately this method is not that reliable  so make sure to check after.

The problem seems to be the hyphen between latitude and longitude: in fact, if we remove the hyphen and put the same coordinates in "Radius Targeting", we will obtain a completely different result.

Instead of AdWords Editor you might be better off using Google AdWords interface to add multiple locations targets, since the format "(distance:latitude:-longitude)" may produce wrong results.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sonia K
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Your best bet would be the Adwords API.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Trevor S,

Thanks for your reply. I am planning to create an individual campaign for each town, so I can include the town in the ad copy. Is there a way in the AdWords interface to sett multiple location targets in bulk in different campaigns without going into each individual campaign?

Sonia

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Sonia try this

• Go into the Settings Tab of your AdWords Account
  • Click into the Campaign you want to add locations to
  • Select the Locations Sub-tab
  • Click on the Red “+ Locations” Button
  • Click on “Advanced Search”
  • Select “Bulk Locations” on the top right corner
  • Paste or type in the locations you’d like to target into the text box
    • For locations outside of the United States, be sure to change the country code
    • Click Search. All the matched results will show up below the Search button
    • Choose whether you’d like to add or to exclude all the matched locations
    • Click Done, then be sure to click Save to save your changes

If you want to target or to exclude the same locations across many campaigns, use this quick trick to copy over location settings:

• Go into the Settings Tab of your AdWords Account
  • Stay in the “All Settings” Sub-Tab
  • Select the campaign with the location settings that you’d like to apply to other campaigns by checking it off (column on the left of Campaign)
  • Check off all the campaigns that you’d like the locations to copy over to as well
  • Click Edit
  • Hover your mouse over the right side of the location settings you’d like to apply to all
    • This is in the Location column
    • The row of the Campaign with the location settings that want to copy over
    • You will see an icon with two arrows appear. It looks like this (on the right side of locations):
    • Click on the icon
      • You will see that the locations copied over to all selected rows
      • Save!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Trevor S,

This is how I normally do it when I use the same location(s) in many campaigns. However this time I need each campaign to have a different location. I think the solution is to do it either manually or use the API (thank you for suggesting it, MosheTLV).

Sonia

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Any good introductory piece on using API for location uploading?

I've not used the API. Interested to learn or have someone complete a task for me with it :-)