AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Bulk Uploading A List of KWs with New Labels

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What I'm trying to do is ad labels to a large amount of keywords. I downloaded a large list of keywords from AdWords, and added a Labels column and the corresponding labels I would like added to each keyword. 

How do I bulk upload the Excel file I have with the Label additions? When I try uploading the file now, it processes and says there are 0 changes.

Please help!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bulk Uploading A List of KWs with New Labels

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Taylor,

Typically for such issues, the file format is the culprit. In what format did you save your Excel file? Is it .csv or .xls? Make sure you save it as a .csv file as AdWords Editor doesn't import .xls files.

Also if you edit your file in Excel, we recommend saving the file with Unicode Text encoding.

• Windows: Select Save As > Save as type > Unicode Text.
  • Mac: Select Save As > Format > UTF-16 Unicode Text. (You might see the file extension change from .csv to .txt, but AdWords Editor can still import the file.

Let me know if this doesn't resolve your issue.

Best, 

Mini

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Note that AdWords Editor doesn't deal with labels in any shape or form, imported via CSV or otherwise. It's of no help in this task. Taylor is probably talking about bulk upload via the online interface.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Taylor, do the Labels you want to use actually exist in AdWords?  Uploading won't create the Labels, you'll need to make sure all the Labels you're using have already been created (they only need to exist, you don't have to have actually applied them to anything).  

The easiest way to create multiple Labels is via the Labels interface within the AWFE - you'll find this towards the bottom of the left-hand menu. 

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Jon, I saw your answer but it still doesn't work (label format is correct, label already exists). I tested using only one keyword, tried naming the header "Labels" and "Label", tried all supported file formats, but still it's not recognizing that column.

I am using the online AdWords MCC because I work with millions of keywords in multiple accounts, so manual edits or AdWords Editor are not an option (also, my latest client of AdWords editor forgets all the downloaded accounts each time I open it, so it's dead to me). Do you have any ideas? Have you done this before?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi James,

As Igor explained, AdWords editor does not support the functionality of adding labels to your keywords or any element in your account. If you are trying to implement this using the Editor, I do not think you are going to make any progress.

While I understand that you may be dealing with a number of account and millions of keywords within those accounts, still, you do not have any other option other than trying to do this manually.

May I suggest, you do this one account at a time and make your way through all your other accounts slowly. While this may take time, you will at least have implemented the labels in your accounts.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But I am not using the Editor, it is dead to me, I am using the online MCC,
with bulk uploads.

--

*This e-mail and any attachment contains information which is private and
confidential and is intended for the addressee only. If you are not an
addressee, you are not authorized to read, copy or use the e-mail or any
attachment. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by return e-mail and then destroy it.*