AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Bulk Edits in Excel/Editor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I need to be able to take an adgroup in editor, copy it in excel and replace all a specific city names which are in the ads and keywords and switch it out with 36 other city names, so that I can upload it and it will have created a new adgroup with its new ads and new keywords... exact same as the initial adgroup i had exported, but with a different city name in the adgroup/ads/keywords?

If you could please point me in the right direction here.  I'll have to do this many times.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Bulk Edits in Excel/Editor

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

"36 city names that need to be applied to ads and keywords in an adgroup"

I am not sure if I understand your vocabulary. You want to place city names into keywords and ads? Let's take the keyword list first. Look at this:

cheap plumbers in New York

cheap plumbers in Chicago

cheap plumbers in Stockton

etc.

That's the keyword list you want to create? It's got little to do with AdWords, it's much rather an excel exercise.

Put cheap plumbers in in a cell and pull it down. Then put the list of cities in the next column. Finally apply the CONCATENATE text function to join the text strings in the third column.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Clint,

Select the particular ad group in your AdWords Editor and click  on File / Export spreadsheet (CSV ) / Export selected campaign and ad groups.... 

In the excel csv, study very thoroughly where and how the city names, keywords or other items are positioned in the sheet. Make your changes and additions very carefully and as planned. Finally change the ad group name in the excel. 

When you're done with the above, you're advised to return to Editor and click File / Import CSV / From file ... whereupon you should go ahead as prompted till the task is completed.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply.  Actually, I don't want to have to do this 36 times though.  So isn't there some formula I can use to insert 36 different city names into all the keywords/ads/adgroups?

I've been copy/pasting all the data back and forth in excel and editor and doing a find/replace for the city names. It replaces the city name in the keywords, adgroup, and ads, and then I paste back into adwords 3 times, once for adgroup, once for ads, and once for keywords (which i dont see why it wont just take all my data at once....).  But I just can't keep doing it over and over and over again.  This is 36 different adgroups for one campaign, but I'll have like 15 more campaigns EACH needing 36 of these adgroups.  I need some sort of formula that will take a list of my 36 locations/cities and stick in the data I've already created and knock them out all at once like that.. for me to import.

Any ideas?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Seems we are not on the same radar. I did not even utter a single word about copy/pasting ... Robot LOL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, yes, I see, that worked and helps a little. Saves me a couple of steps, but the primary reason for this post is to find out a way to interchange a keyword 36 times into all the data of an agroup quickly, in excel.  That's 36 city names that need to be applied to ads and keywords in an adgroup, quickly.  I know there is some formula for this, but I'm not sure where to find it.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

"36 city names that need to be applied to ads and keywords in an adgroup"

I am not sure if I understand your vocabulary. You want to place city names into keywords and ads? Let's take the keyword list first. Look at this:

cheap plumbers in New York

cheap plumbers in Chicago

cheap plumbers in Stockton

etc.

That's the keyword list you want to create? It's got little to do with AdWords, it's much rather an excel exercise.

Put cheap plumbers in in a cell and pull it down. Then put the list of cities in the next column. Finally apply the CONCATENATE text function to join the text strings in the third column.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You can now do this in the UI itself. Keywords and ads now support Find/Replace and many other bulk functions under the "Edit" dropdown.