AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Broad match modifiers & dynamic keyword insertion

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

When using DKI with BMM keywords, how are the keywords arranged when triggered/inserted?

Example:

+buy +blue +widgets

{KeyWord:Widgets}

Are the BMM keywords always inserted in that exact keyword order despite different search queries?

So does it insert "buy blue widgets" even when search query is "blue widgets buy" ?

Also does it insert "buy blue widgets" when search query is the nonplural version "buy blue widget" ?

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author 128
September 2015

Re: Broad match modifiers & dynamic keyword insertion

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

I would like to highlight here that It's keyword that tigger ad will get inserted in adcopy not search query! 

I would like you to go though interesting threads on DKI:

Dynamic Search Ads / Static Ads

Dynamic Keyword Insertion for long tail

So does it insert "buy blue widgets" even when search query is "blue widgets buy" ?

It will insert buy blue widgets

Also does it insert "buy blue widgets" when search query is the nonplural version "buy blue widget" ?

Read more:

Keyword Insertion

Using Keyword Insertion

Google Says:

An advanced AdWords feature that dynamically updates your ad text to include one of your keywords that matches a customer's search terms.

Please correct if I am wrong!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ScottyD (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Again,

DKI is very effective if used properly, you need to make sure when you are using DKI that all of your keywords in adgroup should make sense when shown in the adcopy.

Using DKI with BMM is not a problem, but there are advantages and disadvantages of using DKI with any match type. I would like to mention few of these:

Advantages

>> CTR: When user see keyword in Adcopy in BOLD, it increase the chances that user will click on your ad. This is because user will think that your adcopy is relevant to his/her search query. The increase in click will helps you in increased CTR.

>> QS: CTR is the main factor of QS. When you achieve high CTR you will automatically notice improvement in QS.

Disadvantages

>> CTR: Suppose you have Ad Text.

Buy {KeyWord:Food} Online & keyword in your adgroup is “food buy” then Adcopy Title will look like : Buy Food Buy Online. Now in this case adcopy will not look relevant to user & he/she will not click on your adcopy. In this case CTR will decrease and also quality score.

>> QS: With decrease of CTR, QS will also decline.

DKI is not effective with Long Tail keyword: As for longer keywords then 25 characters every time ad triggered only your default text will be shown in adcopy.

I generally feel DKI is much appropriate when used with phrase and exact match type as compare to broad. Like I said earlier, If all the keywords in the adgroup make sense and they are not very long tail keywords, I don’t see any problem in using DKI.

One thing when using BMM with DKI, make sure to use correct BMM syntax in keywords. Read here "Using Broad Match Modifier".

You may also refer link attached by Moshe in which Tom has explained very nicely.

I tried to make things clear. Hope it make some sense and helps you in some manner. 

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Modifier broad match show your ads keywords phrases which are misspelled, singular/plural, synonyms, abbreviations and acronyms, related searches and stemmings. I think keyword should be in same phrase, for +buy +blue +widgets, it should have same phrase and can show for misspelling, singular/plural, synonyms, abbreviations and acronyms etc.

DKI work as per search query of user, so for keywords +buy +blue +widgets headline can be any search query in same phrase.

Dinesh
My Blog

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

When using DKI with BMM keywords, how are the keywords arranged when triggered/inserted?

Example:

+buy +blue +widgets

{KeyWord:Widgets}

Are the BMM keywords always inserted in that exact keyword order despite different search queries?

DKI feature allows you to have one ad that appears differently to customers depending on their search terms, making your ads appear more relevant and useful.

If your keyword is too long and would cause the ad text to exceed its character limit, the ad's default text will be used instead. 

Edit: Neha is right !

An advanced AdWords feature that dynamically updates your ad text to include one of your keywords that matches a customer's search terms.

Thanks
Anchal

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author 128
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

I would like to highlight here that It's keyword that tigger ad will get inserted in adcopy not search query! 

I would like you to go though interesting threads on DKI:

Dynamic Search Ads / Static Ads

Dynamic Keyword Insertion for long tail

Read more:

Keyword Insertion

Using Keyword Insertion

Google Says:

Please correct if I am wrong!

Thanks

Neha

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I would recommend reading the following answer by Tom;   a nice explanation; 

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads-manage-account/Keyword-insertion-in-the-Display-U...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Yes Neha, you are right, It's keyword from ad group that tigger ad will get inserted in adcopy not search query.

Dinesh
My Blog

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Dinesh,

Thanks! I am glad atleast you didnot edited your answer Smiley Happy

Thanks
Neha

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Neha answered the question I was asking.

For further clarification:

The broad match modifier keyword will be inserted in it's original keyword order "buy blue widgets" regardless of the search query variations that trigger it.

That makes sense, and definitely opens up a whole new world of time-saving potential.

Are there any potential reasons to stay away from using BMM and DKI together?

Thanks again

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ScottyD (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Again,

DKI is very effective if used properly, you need to make sure when you are using DKI that all of your keywords in adgroup should make sense when shown in the adcopy.

Using DKI with BMM is not a problem, but there are advantages and disadvantages of using DKI with any match type. I would like to mention few of these:

Advantages

>> CTR: When user see keyword in Adcopy in BOLD, it increase the chances that user will click on your ad. This is because user will think that your adcopy is relevant to his/her search query. The increase in click will helps you in increased CTR.

>> QS: CTR is the main factor of QS. When you achieve high CTR you will automatically notice improvement in QS.

Disadvantages

>> CTR: Suppose you have Ad Text.

Buy {KeyWord:Food} Online & keyword in your adgroup is “food buy” then Adcopy Title will look like : Buy Food Buy Online. Now in this case adcopy will not look relevant to user & he/she will not click on your adcopy. In this case CTR will decrease and also quality score.

>> QS: With decrease of CTR, QS will also decline.

DKI is not effective with Long Tail keyword: As for longer keywords then 25 characters every time ad triggered only your default text will be shown in adcopy.

I generally feel DKI is much appropriate when used with phrase and exact match type as compare to broad. Like I said earlier, If all the keywords in the adgroup make sense and they are not very long tail keywords, I don’t see any problem in using DKI.

One thing when using BMM with DKI, make sure to use correct BMM syntax in keywords. Read here "Using Broad Match Modifier".

You may also refer link attached by Moshe in which Tom has explained very nicely.

I tried to make things clear. Hope it make some sense and helps you in some manner. 

Thanks

Neha

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm familiar with DKI, but just haven't jumped on the BMM bandwagon yet. Though now I may have to stop using phrase match altogether ;D. j/k

Thanks for the very thorough answer Neha!!