AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Broad match and phrase match expressions inside broad match modifer

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been Googling and haven't been able to find an answer to this.

Suppose you are using a broad match modifier and want to include a phrase and not individual words in your modifer, would you use the phrase "" or exact [] marks?

E.g.

+Response +[court order]

+response +"court order"

Which is the correct format to use, and if they are both valid how are they treated differently?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Broad match and phrase match expressions inside broad match modifer

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Morecaffeine,

I might be wrong here but according to my knowledge of broad match modifier (BMM) keywords, this syntax is wrong. You cannot use the phrase match syntax " " or the exact match syntax [] with BMM.

Based on your example, say your keyword is '+response +court order' then any query which is triggered by the term 'order' will trigger your ad but this query MUST contain the terms 'response and code in it.

Keyword: +response +court order

Search Queries for which ad will show:

• court order for no response
  • writtern response for court order
  • audience reponse to order nadal in clay court
  • response to an order issued by court

Here, you will not be able to contain the order in which the words with appear within the search term. For this you will have to switch to phrase or exact match type.

Hope this helps you out.

- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I wasn;'t aware that these syntaxes are invalid, surprised Google didn't ive me a warning message and requested that I make changes to the keywords.

In which case I don't think it will make a whole lot of difference to the targeted search terms if I break the [] and "", and do a modifer on each individual keywords.

So

+response +court +order

Will in practice give me the same results as +response +[court order] (had that been a valid syntax).

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Morecaffeine,

I might be wrong here but according to my knowledge of broad match modifier (BMM) keywords, this syntax is wrong. You cannot use the phrase match syntax " " or the exact match syntax [] with BMM.

Based on your example, say your keyword is '+response +court order' then any query which is triggered by the term 'order' will trigger your ad but this query MUST contain the terms 'response and code in it.

Keyword: +response +court order

Search Queries for which ad will show:

• court order for no response
  • writtern response for court order
  • audience reponse to order nadal in clay court
  • response to an order issued by court

Here, you will not be able to contain the order in which the words with appear within the search term. For this you will have to switch to phrase or exact match type.

Hope this helps you out.

- Neeti Ghildiyal
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I wasn;'t aware that these syntaxes are invalid, surprised Google didn't ive me a warning message and requested that I make changes to the keywords.

In which case I don't think it will make a whole lot of difference to the targeted search terms if I break the [] and "", and do a modifer on each individual keywords.

So

+response +court +order

Will in practice give me the same results as +response +[court order] (had that been a valid syntax).

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Sorry to say, but both examples suggested by you are wrong, the benefits of broad match modifier is that it helps your ads to trigger for keywords phrases which are misspelled,singular/plural,synonyms, abbreviations and acronyms, related searches and stemmings. If you want to have "court order" keyword in same phrase I'll suggest you to use the phrase match along with broad match modifier in ad group.

Dinesh
My Blog

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

'+response +court +order' will give you those results however the order can change, i.e., it will trigger for queries:

• response court order
  • court response order
  • order response court

or any other query with words between these terms.

- Neeti Ghildiyal

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Dinesh

Do you mean

"court order" +response

I thought BMM was a way to essentially target a whole chain of different closely related keywords, to catch all those longtail search phrases that never get search for more than once or twice.

Roughly 20% of search phrases have never been searched for more than once in the past 90 days.

I'm not sure how you would be able to use BMM to getting misspellings, can you elaborate on how you would use BMM to achieve that.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Morecaffeiene,

With BMM your keyword will show up for close variants as well i.e., for plurals & singular forms, misspells, steming, etc.

for ex: for +court +order +response

it will trigger for:

court order responses

court orde response

or for some other keywords such as: +buying +nike +shoe online

it will trigger for:

buy nike shoes online

buy nike shoe online

buyin nike shoes online

online sales for nike to buy shoes

Hope this helps you.

- Neeti Ghildiyal