AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match keyword with Negative Phrase Keyword

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Imagine that I have an adgroup with the following structure:

Adgroup:

Images

-"Pictures"

I want to display my ads with the keyword Images but not with Pictures, so I have added "pictures" to the negative keywords list.

My question is:

Is the negative keyword "pictures" blocking the keyword "Images" because are synonyms? I don't think so, btw, I want to be sure about that.

Thank you guys,

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Broad Match keyword with Negative Phrase Keyword

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi David M,

If you will add pictures, picture, pic as negative it won't block searches for Images.

You can do one thing to make sure. Add these keywords as negative and run keyword diagnosis or check in ad preview tool if the ad are appearing in search engine for keyword that has Images.

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, 

I would suggest you to keep the negative keyword picture in exact match type because you don't want to show your ads to the people searching with this keyword.

Please have a look to this link https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836 you might get some information.

I think your keywords pictures and image are synonyms. So your negative keywords might be blocking your ads.

Regards

Saurav

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Saurav,

You are right, are synonyms but phrase match doesn't contains synonyms. So, I think that "picture" is not blocking the broad keyword Images.

Please, anyone can confirm it?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi David M,

If you will add pictures, picture, pic as negative it won't block searches for Images.

You can do one thing to make sure. Add these keywords as negative and run keyword diagnosis or check in ad preview tool if the ad are appearing in search engine for keyword that has Images.

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello David :

Pay attention to the usage :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972?hl=en

"our ads might still show on searches that contain only one of your negative keyword terms if your keyword terms are more than one word."

So if you use a negative keyword of at least 2 words "red pictures" , your ads might show for pictures , still.

Another exception :

"We still might show your ad when someone searches for a phrase that's longer than 10 words and your negative keyword follows that 10th word."

Also very important to write plurals and misspellings in your negative keywords list

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Negative-Keyword-Plurals-and-Misspellings/td...

Also broad match will take care of your variations that receive only impressions and no clicks and will create some sort of a "negative broad variations list" , based on impressions

http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=2497828

How broad match can help you

Spend your money on keywords that work: If your ad receives no clicks on a particular keyword variation, our system will quickly stop showing your ads for that and similar search terms. This prevents you from accruing click charges for keyword variations that aren't working and helps you focus on the keywords that work.