AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Keyword Being Reported as Exact Match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am running the campaign for one of my products and have targeted the keywords as broad match. When I checked the analytics, one of the keywords triggered an ad and a visit followed. The Matched Query shows a long tail keyword but the Query Match Type says exact match

Here's the scenario:

Target keyword: blue widgets

Keyword that triggered the click: what version of <product related> does blue widgets use

Query Match Type that Analytics say: Exact

Can anybody explain me why this is an exact match. It should have been a broad or phrase match.

Regards,

Shailenra Sial

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Broad Match Keyword Being Reported as Exact Match

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

Are you sure it is that keyword that triggered that search query? Where, in Analytics, can you see, in the same table row search query / keyword / match type?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Traffic Sources --> Advertising --> AdWords: Keywords and Matched Search Query. Query Match Type dimension next to Matched Search Query

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

And are you sure that the particular search query you are talking about is only triggered by one of your keywords? Dynamic Search Ads, for instance, report a lot of Exact Match matches, though one does not have keywords in those campaigns.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But I am not using the Dynamics Search Ads. Moreover, the Keyword dimensions tells me the keyword on which the ad appeared and Matched Search Query tells me the long tail one

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I understand. You have any two of the three in the same row. But never Keyword / Search Term AND Match type.

Can you use the Analytics Data Feed query explorer and see, in one row, Campaign / Ad Group / Keyword / Search Term / Match Type?

I fear that if it's not DSA it can be PLA. I can see that in one of my accounts. PLAs also always report exact matches.

So you may well be in a situation when that search term is paired with the keyword you indicated, but not in exact match, and it is also paired with a product target, with no keyword, in exact match.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

But I am not using PLA. Could you please tell me more about Analytics Data Feed query explorer? Where can I find it?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello.

Over here: http://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/explorer/. Give it a try, it is a very neat tool.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 9
Top Contributor Alumni

Edit -  My original post was incorrect. I've removed it, so I don't take this discussion off-track.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*