AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Keyword Phrase match: Mass keyword submit OR use an "or boolean" somehow?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ive added a list of 45 classic cars to my keywords for my google search only campaigns, and from looking at keyword and search term reports in adwords i am getting matches and click through s,  however i really only want to match for the 3 phrases surrounding the list of classic cars.

For example:

"Plymouth Cuda"  ( its a type or make/model of a classic car)

I want to match for:  "Buy a Plymouth Cuda" , "sell a Plymouth Cuda" or "Plymouth Cuda for sale"  (or obviously anything close to those such as "buy Plymouth Cuda").

I dont want to match for just "Plymouth Cuda" or people searching for "Plymouth Cuda specs" or "Plymouth Cuda stats" nor even "Plymouth Cuda 0 to 60 times"   (all of which im currently matching for as ive provided just "Plymouth Cuda" as a Broad matching keyword, without the quotes ofcourse)

So my question is:  should i just manually create the 200+ or so variations of this list of classic cars i want to match for and then add all 200+ keywords to my campaign? (ie use a app like notepad++ to add "buy" to each of the 45 cars in the list, then add "sell" to each of the 45 cars in the list, and then submit the 90 keywords to my campaign)   or is there a better way to structure a single keyword for each of the 45 classic cars?  ie  just submit:  "Plymouth Cuda [ buy OR sell OR sale]"     It would seem that using negative keywords would be way to broad as i only want ot match for a few phrases paired with the 45 classic cars.  (i hope this all makes sense,  if not i can re-phrase my question/issue)

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vicari A
June 2016

Re: Broad Keyword Phrase match: Mass keyword submit OR use an "or boolean" somehow?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Vicari,

There are no boolean options for keywords.  

Nik has made a great suggestion for how to easily set up your keyword lists, but I'd like to add in a couple of thoughts.

1. You probably want one car model per ad group - This is mostly for relevancy between your ad copy, keywords and I assume landing page (if you have one per car model).  You wouldn't want to show someone an ad for a Ford Mustang if they're looking for a Plymouth Cuda.

2. If you decided to use modified broad match as in Nik's example, I would strongly suggest that you research and create a strong negative keywords list.  I would imagine that beyond what you already mentioned, terms like: parts, tires, trailer, tarp, rugs, mirrors etc...would not fall under the same category as someone looking to buy a whole car.  I would also imagine when considering classic cars, there would be a lot of search volume around terms where people will be looking for specific parts for a project car.

3. Sometimes, depending on your budget and targeting, it's better to start off a little more restricted and then open up your targeting/keyword match types over time - it's really going to depend on what your current performance looks like.

Regardless of how you go about it, there are many ways/tools out there to help you quickly create your keyword lists for import into AdWords.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Re: Broad Keyword Phrase match: Mass keyword submit OR use an "or boolean" somehow?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi
If you want buy or sale in each of the search query which may trigger your ad then you will need to have BMM in format +buy +carmodel and +sale +carmodel. You can use spreadsheet like this. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j5D3tya7vFPucEFGXX-YfgjCpiwDlSR05AeOqoXVmX0/edit#gid=0
Hope this helps
Regards
Nikhil
Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vicari A
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Vicari,

There are no boolean options for keywords.  

Nik has made a great suggestion for how to easily set up your keyword lists, but I'd like to add in a couple of thoughts.

1. You probably want one car model per ad group - This is mostly for relevancy between your ad copy, keywords and I assume landing page (if you have one per car model).  You wouldn't want to show someone an ad for a Ford Mustang if they're looking for a Plymouth Cuda.

2. If you decided to use modified broad match as in Nik's example, I would strongly suggest that you research and create a strong negative keywords list.  I would imagine that beyond what you already mentioned, terms like: parts, tires, trailer, tarp, rugs, mirrors etc...would not fall under the same category as someone looking to buy a whole car.  I would also imagine when considering classic cars, there would be a lot of search volume around terms where people will be looking for specific parts for a project car.

3. Sometimes, depending on your budget and targeting, it's better to start off a little more restricted and then open up your targeting/keyword match types over time - it's really going to depend on what your current performance looks like.

Regardless of how you go about it, there are many ways/tools out there to help you quickly create your keyword lists for import into AdWords.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your very thorough reply! Also thanks to you nik as well for your thorough reply as well, i wish i could accept 2 x reply's as answers but ti would only let me select one.

So if im reading your reply's correctly, i need to do a version of what i hypothesized in my original post:

"should i just manually create the 200+ or so variations of this list of classic cars i want to match for and then add all 200+ keywords to my campaign?"

That is, for each classic car make multipul keywords like: (Buick GS is a classic car type):

+buy +Buick +GS

+sell +Buick +GS

+forsale +Buick +GS

+for +sale +Buick +GS

( and then the same 4x for "AMC AMX", and same 4x for "Chevrolet Impala" and so on for each classic car)

should i also do the same 4x for "Chevy Impala"  (ie "Chevrolet" is sometime referred to as "Chevy") or any other manufacture synonyms?

I know my question might seem redundant, but i just dont see why adwords wouldn't support a syntax like: keyword=   " +(Chevy OR Chevrolet) +(buy OR sell OR forsale OR for sale) +Impala"    (ie if that syntax was supported, i could cover in *1*x submission what i have to now make *8* x submissions for)

I'll eventually break these keywords up into separate ad groups (great idea!, thanks!, I didnt consider that my ad would be much better suited if it matched the actual car being searched),  

Thanks again!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Vicari,

Yes, you basically need to create every keyword variation.

My thought on why this syntax isn't supported is because it's kind of against the nature of AdWords. We choose and optimize keywords at that very level and you cannot optimize a bit for 'Chevy Impala' vs 'Chevrolet Impala' if they were lumped together (and yes, these could perform very differently in the auctions). You'll see this once you really start digging in. Not every keyword is created equal.

I would break them out into ad groups now. It does not make sense to group them together if you're dealing with multiple car models.

Structuring your AdWords Account: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375470?hl=en

-Tommy