AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

1.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Brands

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Recently Google changed their Brand policy and I have seen a number of people who no longer can make ads using specific brand names. I have also seen a number of people that still can make AdWords ads using the same brand without being certified by the brandowner. This spooks me and Im not interested in how to cheat Google, but in why some people can use brands in AdWords and others not...

R.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Brands

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Rigpa, 

That's a good question. In terms of Google's trademark policy, advertisers can use a TM term in their ad text if they have the permission of the trademark owner or if they are passing the Reseller test and are targeting the UK, Ireland, USA, or Canada. 

Otherwise the ads should be disapproved. 

This link here explains the trademark policy in a little more detail. 

Hope this makes things a little clearer!

A.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi sifalio, I would strongly advise against seeking methods to "get around" the Terms and Conditions of using Google Adwords.  It would be foolish to find your account permanently suspended for doing so.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Rigpa, 

That's a good question. In terms of Google's trademark policy, advertisers can use a TM term in their ad text if they have the permission of the trademark owner or if they are passing the Reseller test and are targeting the UK, Ireland, USA, or Canada. 

Otherwise the ads should be disapproved. 

This link here explains the trademark policy in a little more detail. 

Hope this makes things a little clearer!

A.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Keyword insertion is the answer... google's a bit weird on that one... 

create a competitor's adgroup with only the keywords related to a specific competitor ; use only keyword insertion on headline, and that'll do it... 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi sifalio, I would strongly advise against seeking methods to "get around" the Terms and Conditions of using Google Adwords.  It would be foolish to find your account permanently suspended for doing so.

Jon

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

it was a test that seemed to work. just sharing experience... the system should just disapprove the ad if it feels it is not in line with their T&Cs. kind of reminds me of the tax subject Smiley Wink

+ You don't know which brands fall into Google's TMed category and which ones don't...

I guess (hope anyway) that this forum is also used by Google employees to see where their little bugs might be...

Not entierly sure of the following, but isn't the responsability of the advertiser to protect his own brand?

I don't know how many brand infringement complaints I had to report to google... was long and fastidious but worth it... 

All posted with good intentions Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks guys!

I don't think the use keyword substitution. They have 3 other related products and a search with those names doesn't seem to display an add. It is a big company and I'm pretty sure they are making ads by the rules of Google. They can't afford to do anything that violates AdWords TOS.

Any other suggestions?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Rigpa, how can you be certain they don't have the permission of the trademark owner, or are not an authorised reseller?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The BrandOwner has a public list of authorised partners. And I also know from some one who actually asked them :-)