AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Brand Keyword with ads

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

One of my competitor is using my Brand as a keyword. Thats fine can't help it.

But the problem is the Headline of the Ad is:

"Better than ABC.com - xyz.com"

ABC.com is my Brand and website name.

Is this allowed? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Brand Keyword with ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Neeraj,

Is your 'brand name' a trademark?

Deepak

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi neerajkv30,

Welcome to the community.

If your brand name is registered or trade marked then Google does not allow the other advertiser to use your brand name in their ad copies or as a keyword.

Your brand name should be unique like "apple.com" & it should not be generic like "onlinemobile.com".

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,

Shuva

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Neeraj,

The first thing you need to determine whether your Brand is trademarked or not.  If the name your competitors are using for their Google Ad campaign is not trademarked then it is acceptable to use the name throughout Google advertising efforts.

For AdWords trademark policy go through http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en&rd=1

And if you still believe that your Brand is Trademarked then you can file a complain using follow link https://services.google.com/inquiry/aw_tmcomplaint

But before you file a complaint, it's very important that you read all of the information above and in the trademark policy.

Thanks!

Anand Vishwakarma

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

Thanks for replying.

No, My Brand name is not trademarked. Using my brand keyword to trigger the ads thats fine.

But Comparing the brand is it allowed?

Like "Better Than ABC.com"

It should not be allowed.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Neeraj,

As your ‘brand name’ is not a trademark term, you cannot file a trademark complaint.

One thing I will suggest here is to send a ‘friendly’ mail to you competitor and let him know your concerns about the ads you described above.

And check the landing page of your competitor ad. As per Adwords advertiser claims policy they should have substantial content on their landing page explaining why they are “Better Than ABC.com”, otherwise they are violating the policy.

Deepak

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Deepak,

Surely, Will send a mail.

There is no content on their landing page that will prove they are better than us as per the Ad copy.

They are violating the policy so any suggestion what should I do?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

HI Neeraj,

Do you have ant idea for how long this ad is running?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Deepak,

I specially keep a track on my branded keyword. Yesterday It was not there. It started from today.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author neerajkv30
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 10
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi neerajkv30,

Are there any 3rd parties verifying that they are in fact better than you?

If not, they may be in breach of the advertiser claims policy as they must be able to confirm this.

It could be worth completing the AdWords ad feedback form letting them know about the advertisers claims.

You never know, it could fix the problem for you.