AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Bidding in GDN

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there. 

I got a question in regards to the bidding feature with regards to the targeting option. 

I plan to start a campaign with topic targeting+Gender+age (Target and Bid Only) in one ad group. 

So which bid would google use for the auction?  I am assuming the age bid as it has more options to bid accordingly. 

Well, thn the scenario would be - I've set up the campaign with the targeting option above and google uses my age bid. But I realise that a certain placement is doing good and decided to increase my bid on it (Either bid adj or custom bid) .

Would google still use my age bid ? or would it thn use my placement bid?. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hazmil R
September 2015

Re: Bidding in GDN

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Hazmil R , Welcome to the Community Robot Very Happy

About your question : 

"But I realise that a certain placement is doing good and decided to increase my bid on it (Either bid adj or custom bid) . 

Would google still use my age bid ? or would it thn use my placement bid?. "

Once you set a custom bid for a targeting method, that custom bid is used . You can only pick one targeting for custom biddings and for the others you can select bid adjustments. This is also explained in the info box here :

bidding-GDN-1-per-targeting.png

So the answer is google will not use your age bid but it can use your "age bid adjustment". 

A very easy to understand example is found here : link

Quote : 

"   Example

Your pet supplies business is running a "Display Network only - All features" campaign. You know that your keyword sparkly dog collar performs well on Thursdays, and when you target the "Pets and Animals" topic.

First, you set a custom bid of $3.00 for the sparkly dog collar keyword. Then you set a bid adjustment of +10% for Thursdays, and +20% for the "Pets and Animals" topic. Your bid adjustment looks like this:

Custom bid: $3.00
Thursday adjustment: $3 x (+10%) = $3.30
"Pets and Animals" topic adjustment: $3.30 x (+20%) = $3.96
Resulting bid for Thursdays on sites that match the keyword sparkly dog collar and the "Pets and Animals" topic: $3.96    "

Does this help ?

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hazmil R
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Hazmil R , Welcome to the Community Robot Very Happy

About your question : 

"But I realise that a certain placement is doing good and decided to increase my bid on it (Either bid adj or custom bid) . 

Would google still use my age bid ? or would it thn use my placement bid?. "

Once you set a custom bid for a targeting method, that custom bid is used . You can only pick one targeting for custom biddings and for the others you can select bid adjustments. This is also explained in the info box here :

bidding-GDN-1-per-targeting.png

So the answer is google will not use your age bid but it can use your "age bid adjustment". 

A very easy to understand example is found here : link

Quote : 

"   Example

Your pet supplies business is running a "Display Network only - All features" campaign. You know that your keyword sparkly dog collar performs well on Thursdays, and when you target the "Pets and Animals" topic.

First, you set a custom bid of $3.00 for the sparkly dog collar keyword. Then you set a bid adjustment of +10% for Thursdays, and +20% for the "Pets and Animals" topic. Your bid adjustment looks like this:

Custom bid: $3.00
Thursday adjustment: $3 x (+10%) = $3.30
"Pets and Animals" topic adjustment: $3.30 x (+20%) = $3.96
Resulting bid for Thursdays on sites that match the keyword sparkly dog collar and the "Pets and Animals" topic: $3.96    "

Does this help ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hey there.

Thnks man. Clairifies alot.

So meaning in the sense that if my ad grp is $1US dollar with no custom bid enabled. Google will use it as my max cpc for a visitor which fits all criteria.

and if i enabled one targeting method for custom bid, google will use that custom bid for the visitor which matches my criteria.

right?

Ouh, 1 more qn. With the historial cpc being shown in the google display planner and my targeting options being (topic + Gender +age). Is it feasible to go with a historical cpc as my starting bid because there is no historical bid for age or gender....

Last qn is that my targeting option , is it to narrow ? Or would you say in your opinion that it is wide scale. ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) Yes, that is right. 

2) The historical CPC is just for orientation. You will be competing using your Ad Rank. You cannot anticipate if your QS is the same with the people who obtained that CPC. You can only look at the metric "Relative CTR" if you use CPC bidding in order to check if your CTR on a placement is lower or higher than the average of other bidders.

In the GDN you have to test various bids until you reach an optimal no. of impressions + clicks + conversions.

I raise the bid in +20% increments daily and read the traffic data the next day to see what has changed, but that is just my preferred method.

3) "Last qn is that my targeting option , is it to narrow ? Or would you say in your opinion that it is wide scale. ?"

This depends also a lot on your location targeting, if it is only a City it can reduce the list of potential visitors a lot.

When you setup GDN targeting, the system itself offers a visualisation of how narrow your target becomes by the intersection of circles, a VENN diagram. When using multiple targeting methods the AND condition applies and the result is an intersection.

I would change the targeting to keywords+topics ( various topic in various ad groups but the same keywords) and implement conversion tracking . After a testing time-frame of 2-4 weeks you can look at the data an choose an age or gender which have better conversion rates. Of course if your products are only for women, it is advisable to use gender selection from the start , but there is also the Unknown segment for gender or ages, so you can include that too.

The way the browser detects age and gender when a person is not logged in a Google account is by gathering information about the browser behaviour. For example you can access this page to see what your age and gender is according to google.

https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thnk you so mcuh Adrian! I really appreaciate it!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the explanations, it seems very useful. You're saying however that

"You can only pick one targeting for custom biddings and for the others you can select bid adjustments. "

What if I choose to use a custom bid on all keyword, placement, and topic/interest category level, within the same ad group? Which bid would then prevail?

Thanks for your help!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Boryana K,

I used a quote from this page : Bidding features on the Display Network

It says 

"   Custom bids

These are the Max. CPC or Max. CPM bids you can set for a targeting method in your ad group. You can set custom bids on only one targeting method within each ad group."

Also in here it says

" How to enable custom or default bids, and bid adjustments for your ad groups

5. Click the tab of the targeting method you'd like to set bids on. For example, click the Topics tab to set a bid on topics. "

So my guess is that you cannot set custom bids for all those 3 targeting methods, only for 1.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Adrian! I guess I won't risk testing which bid would prevail then. Still we have bid adjustments for these purposes Smiley Happy