AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Bidding for different CPA within same campaign

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Here's my question:
Let's say a landing page has two products available for the user, with different CPAs each, let's say product A is $1.00CPA and product B has $0.50CPA. Product A is for IE/FF users, and Product B is for Chrome users. Or it could be PC and Mac users.

When using CPA bidding (aka Conversion Optimiser), Is there a way for the conversion optimiser to intelligently know which product is converting and at which CPA, and bid accordingly? perhaps through assigning a value to two different conversion pixels for each product?
or is that impossible?

right now i'm manually trying to use a weighted avergae CPA, but sometimes what ends up happening is that i start to get more traffic for the lower-cost product and lose traffic for the higher-cost one, as a result the target CPA keeps spiralling down and down, and that's not what i want

and no, i can't separate this into two campaigns, because I don't think the Adwords targeting options  allow for it (i.e you can't target by Chrome browsers, and the other is for IE/FF)

Basically i want to know if there's a way to set a lower price point for Chrome traffic somehow,  through CPA bidding , or if not, perhaps via CPC?
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bidding for different CPA within same campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Bratok, interesting question!

The key is really in how you know which product has converted, i.e. how are you tracking whether it's the Chrome version or the IE version?  If you have something in your website code that identifies these as different products then you could use different conversion snippets for each product, with an appropriate value or if more suitable, simply modify the conversion_value parameter within the snippet (though this will make reporting more confusing in AdWords).

While it's not possible to target by Browser in Search, it is possible to create Goals in Analytics that match certain browsers, so an alternative would be to use Analytics Goals imported into AdWords.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
right now i am using Adwords Conversion tracking pixels, without assigning a value.
I could implement different codes for chrome and non-chrome and assign them different values.
So I would know how many conversions i would get for each, but would the bidding system know to bid differently for each, that is the question.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Bratok, sorry, I missed the real point of your question.

Unfortunately Conversion optimiser isn't smart enough to differentiate between different conversion types/values and AdWords won't take the browser into the equation anyway.  There's more on multiple conversion codes and values here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472674?hl=en

Essentially, if you want to use CPA bidding, you'll need to derive a CPA target that's a mean of the two values.

Personally, in this situation I'd handle the bidding manually, or through Automated Rules and/or Scripts.

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
thanks, Jon
how do you suggest you set up bidding for chrome vs. non-chrome, given the
situation i described, then?
Averaging it out results in simply getting more cheaper Chrome traffic and
less of the more expensive ie/ff traffic

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Can bidding through the API be separated by OS or browser type?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Bratok, the API merely gives programmatical access to the existing features of AdWords - it doesn't add any additional functionality.  AdWords cannot target Desktop's by browser type, so there's no way to automatically tune for the browser types.

However, it is of course possible to direct Ads/Keywords to different landing pages so if you used keywords and Ad text aimed at Chrome users and different terms/Ads for non-Chrome users, combined with appropriate conversion names/values, it may be possible to manually tune the Account for better performance.  It may even be possible with Scripts to analyse landing pages/keywords vs the type of product downloaded and dynamically assign landing pages.  For example, if you had a non-browser specific "KeywordA" and, over time, data showed that this Keyword typically resulted in a significant number of Chrome downloads over IE/FF, a script could dynamically allocate a destination URL for the Chrome package.

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
thanks, unfortunately there is no way to differentiate Chrome users by
keyword or placement, since traffic comes pretty much evenly form generic
kw's/urls and the proportion of Chrome is fluctuating wildly; however i
noticed that sometimes there's a huge influx of Chrome, to the point where
it surpasses non-Chrome, and the lower i bid, the more Chrome visitors I
get, presumably due to it's cheaper price. I assume a lot of RTB's plugged